Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

Courtney's 264 win mag

First of all. The gun shoots like a dream. I like to say that I have three generations of Craig's custom rifles. A 7 wsm on a winchester model 70 action that he built when he just started. A 6.5 creedmoor that is built on a savage 10 action built a few years later. And of course Courtney's 264 win mag. They all shoot great but Craig out did himself on Court's gun. He says it is the terminator T1 break. The first couple of shots, I had to look at the cases to make sure I was shooting a 264. Courtney's gun was a semi custom with a break before Craig got a hold of it; but dang, does it shoot comfortable now.

Shot about 35 rounds to break in the barrel. Three Points as always had a little wind that morning. Cases were new to the gun. Three of the loads were loaded for Court's old barrel 1-9 twist but re seated deeper for the new chamber.

post-22-0-00944200-1457651188_thumb.jpg

Shot the 120 sierra's first and 130 nosler accubonds second. I used the 130's as a fouling shot after cleaning between every group

post-22-0-32307400-1457651202_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-20596800-1457651219_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-32360500-1457651993_thumb.jpg

I really like the long range accubonds but Craig said his experience with them isn't the best. He predicted that I would have one flyer and I did. This is the only bullet I shot touching the lands. Liked the 140 hybrid's the best. Will tweak the loads and seating depth. Should be able to find something a little more accurate. It was 40 degrees with wind. I was wearing two sweat shirts. I know the gun will do better.

Brent

• Like 1

Good shooting! I bet those groups will continue to shrink. Kyle built me a semi custom 7mag and that thing is the easiest to load for. Shoots 1/2 moa or better with a wide variety Of bullet weights and brands. Again, nice rifle and thanks for sharing the results.

Those 140 Bergers look VERY promising! Nice shooting. What kind of velocities are you getting with them?

I've burnt up several .264 barrels over the years. My favorite hot rod round. Some years ago I started just shooting 100 gr hornadys. Really like the laser beam straight path to the critters. Really like that rifle. Must be the injun blood, I like them bright colors. Lark

I've burnt up several .264 barrels over the years. My favorite hot rod round. Some years ago I started just shooting 100 gr hornadys. Really like the laser beam straight path to the critters. Really like that rifle. Must be the injun blood, I like them bright colors. Lark

You can't use that bullet, you're leaving a bunch of BC on the table and animals absolutely will not die with anything less then the highest BC bullet available.

First of all. The gun shoots like a dream. I like to say that I have three generations of Craig's custom rifles. A 7 wsm on a winchester model 70 action that he built when he just started. A 6.5 creedmoor that is built on a savage 10 action built a few years later. And of course Courtney's 264 win mag. They all shoot great but Craig out did himself on Court's gun. He says it is the terminator T1 break. The first couple of shots, I had to look at the cases to make sure I was shooting a 264. Courtney's gun was a semi custom with a break before Craig got a hold of it; but dang, does it shoot comfortable now.

Shot about 35 rounds to break in the barrel. Three Points as always had a little wind that morning. Cases were new to the gun. Three of the loads were loaded for Court's old barrel 1-9 twist but re seated deeper for the new chamber.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender-2.jpg

Shot the 120 sierra's first and 130 nosler accubonds second. I used the 130's as a fouling shot after cleaning between every group

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender-1.jpg

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0615-1.JPG

I really like the long range accubonds but Craig said his experience with them isn't the best. He predicted that I would have one flyer and I did. This is the only bullet I shot touching the lands. Liked the 140 hybrid's the best. Will tweak the loads and seating depth. Should be able to find something a little more accurate. It was 40 degrees with wind. I was wearing two sweat shirts. I know the gun will do better.

Brent

Is a flier common with long rang Accubonds?

I ask because I was doing load development on a 280 Rem with 150 lrab. They shoot great groups but always had a flier. I assumed it was too too light a bullet for my twist. I switched to a 162 and the issue cleared.

Very nice Brent!

Hope you all draw so you can really try it out.

Jeff