PatrickJr

Recent Predators

I did not get to do as much calling as I wished I could have but when I was able to get out I had decent success. Still fell short of my goal to call in and kill a bobcat.

After a day of school, Reyes and I went out and one the last stand of the day called in the tailless fox. Shot at ~50 yards with my Mossberg MVP in 223. And no, there aren't any filters on these pictures.

post-12189-0-65142000-1458867296_thumb.jpeg

post-12189-0-20413200-1458866443_thumb.jpeg

After a different day of school, Reyes and I went out with a buddy of our, Gavin. Gavin called in this coyote and Reyes killed it as I videoed. This was his first coyote. Once again with my 223.

post-12189-0-68221700-1458866558_thumb.jpeg

I was out jumping ponds for ducks and decided to do a quick stand before I went home. Called in a double but only got a crack on this one with the 223.

post-12189-0-56728900-1458866718_thumb.jpeg

Went out to scout for pigs before the junior pig hunt and as the evening was coming to a close I did a stand hoping for a cat. Around 21 minutes in I saw this fox. He didn't want to come in and was around 300 yards out. Then another fox runs past him so he tagged along. Shot the first at 80 yards and second one at 225-250 on the run after some warning shots and one that clipped him. Also with my 223.

post-12189-0-36906000-1458866963_thumb.jpeg

Got out with my buddy Carter, he is new to calling and on the first stand I was able to get this fox the run into 20 yards so he could shoot him with my Benelli M1.

post-12189-0-51990600-1458867126_thumb.jpeg

Once again while with carter, I called in this dog to 45 yards where he hung up. I let the 223 eat.

post-12189-0-95084500-1458867221_thumb.jpeg

Hope to do some calling before the fawns and calves start to drop!

• Like 7

Excellent job Patrick! Loved the fox double! Are you hand calling or electronic?

Excellent job Patrick! Loved the fox double! Are you hand calling or electronic?

Electronic. The call I use is in the fourth picture down

Cool to see some young guys getting out there and getting it done. Kudos to you for bring your buddies into the sport as well.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of fun!

• Like 1

Cool to see some young guys getting out there and getting it done. Kudos to you for bring your buddies into the sport as well.

I took Carter on his first junior pig hunt great kid

• Like 1

I took Carter on his first junior pig hunt great kid

Carter is one of my best friends. You probably are one of the reasons he is the hunter he is now. He killed his first coues last year, and is always looking to learn!

• Like 1

Awesome shooting!! Congrats on the success. I picked up an electronic call a while back and used it for the first time last week in an area where I was finding wayyy too much coyote crap filled with deer hair. Within 20 seconds of the jackrabbit distress call blaring, a coyote came trotting in and I blasted him at 100. Beginners luck I guess!

Do you have any recommendations for a newby getting in to predator calling? How long do you let your call run for on a stand? Do you let it run continually or 5 minutes on / 2 minutes off, etc. Do you try different animal calls in the same stand? Or stick to one until you move to a different area?

Thanks in advance and congrats again!

• Like 1

Awesome shooting!! Congrats on the success. I picked up an electronic call a while back and used it for the first time last week in an area where I was finding wayyy too much coyote crap filled with deer hair. Within 20 seconds of the jackrabbit distress call blaring, a coyote came trotting in and I blasted him at 100. Beginners luck I guess!

Do you have any recommendations for a newby getting in to predator calling? How long do you let your call run for on a stand? Do you let it run continually or 5 minutes on / 2 minutes off, etc. Do you try different animal calls in the same stand? Or stick to one until you move to a different area?

Thanks in advance and congrats again!

I always play multiple sounds on each stand even if something comes in quickly. If a fox comes in quick, I'll play a fox distress hoping to get another in. It depends on what I'm calling for when I decide how kind to sit on a stand. I would say 20 minutes is the ideal time. If you're calling for cats you might want to sit longer. I've called in coyotes at 18 minutes and fox at 21 so you just never know. I will play each sound for 5-7 minutes before switching. When done with a sound I decrease volume slowly once at 0 I switch and increase new sound slowly until I get it where I want it. Volumes just play around with, before I had a truck I would tend to play sounds fairly quiet so I didn't have to walk super far to my next stand but with a vehicle you can do whatever. Don't overlook your hike into the stand, keep quiet, and I like to hike further typically.

And don't think what I've said is perfect because by predator calling standards, I am a novice and have lots to learn.

• Like 1

Calves already dropping. Nice work!! I miss hunting and fishing after school, work sucks haha.

Twelve miles of coyote country between Cotton City and Animas....could usually get two stands in on the way to school in the mornings....funnest times calling ever.........and way better than work.