AR15RDY

22-250 or .243 for yotes and mulies

Rifle is to be used in the Arizona desert and mountains. Mostly for yotes and mule deer. I do a lot of walking and glassing. After my pack,tripod w/binos and Viper 6-20x44 going to be mounted on this rifle is why weight is taken into consideration. Especially after you get a deer down. The 24 vs 22 concern is because distances is longest 500 yards but more realistic within 300 yard shots.

At 500 yards, the .25-06 is plenty for big mulies pushing a 100-120 grain bullet from 3100-3200 easily. Throw an 85gr NBT Varmint in there at 3300+ and coyotes will crash like they were hit by a lightning bolt.

Tikka does show an offering in .260 Rem in the T3 Lite, that would be a good consideration as well. 100-140 gr bullets @ 3000+-2850.

• Like 1

Of the two you listed, the 243 would be my choice. I have both, and have used both to take deer and coyotes. I would not use the 22-250 on deer again. I'd take my bow or use a handgun before my 22-250. The quarter bores and 6.5's allow you a lot more flexibility with what you could shoot with said rifle, and the conditions in which you could take such shots. Lance's recommendation for a 25-06 is spot on. I had one many years ago(ex took off with it), and bought it just for the purpose of an all around rifle in CO. In the three years I had that rifle it was used to take several mule deer, an antelope, a slew of coyotes and bobcats, a lion, two cow elk, a pair of foxes and a small black bear. Shot the 85gr NBT's, 110gr NBT's and Accubonds, 100gr Scirocco's and 120gr partitions. Don't think they make the 110 NBT's anymore. I'd have one again except that I have a 257wby now. And a 243. And a 22-250. But one day.....

I have a .25-06 Ackley, faster than factory, but I took a big bodied muley at 488 yards without a single step, quartering on, with a complete pass through using 100 TTSX @ 3600fps. Also took a big muley w. authority @ 160 yards with the 115 HVLD @ 3400fps.

I have taken a coyote using my .250 Ackley, just a touch slower than a .25-06, and using a 100 SMK @ 3100fps, at 1327 yards. Plus many deer and javelina from 80 to 350+ fell to the .250 Ackley.

I love the quarter bores.

• Like 2

.243 for me. Just build a load development for deer and use it on yotes. Then it's ready for deer if you need it. Since it's set up for deer your bullet will be heavier for those long range yote shots if need be.

• Like 2

243 is light for Mule Deer. Will get it done though if you are a crack shot within a reasonable distance. But as the deer get bigger and the distances get longer the margin of error increases exponentially.

22-250 is fine for yotes out as far where you may need a rangefinder to compensate. Now if I was shooting Mulies, I wouldn't use anything less than a 7 Mag or 308.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but you asked the question because you don't have the experience under your belt (everyone needs to start somewhere) or you are just looking for affirmation on your choices but step your game up for deer.