twistzz

Hunting in high winds?

Looks like its going to be blowing opening day in 6A. What would you guys do? Im thinking spot and stock just like deer and play the wind to ambush them :)

Turkey can't smell ,Can't hear much in the wind, so movement is your only worry.

I have been successful killing turkeys on really windy days by calling much louder than usual. The wind limits the range that your call can be heard, so you might find covering more country and calling more loudly will work better.

• Like 3

Hi, thanks Amanda! This is a fantastic site you created :) I will certainly give this a try! Looking forward to getting up in the high country again. Photofool, I know they can't smell was thinking if you spot them you can use the wind / noise to get ahead of them hopefully undetected. Good luck to the rest of the folks hunting this week!

We have been in the unit one youth turkey camp. The first couple of days were a lot of wind and snow. Didn't seem like calling was working for anyone. Today has been a different story....

I saw a camp with a silver dodge with a CW sticker on it up by big lake. Was wondering how the hunt was going. I was unable to take my nephew so we went fishing instead

There is where scouting, roosting birds and watching where the go when the come off the roost before the season helps.

• Like 1

I'd roost them the night before. Time your calls with lulls in the wind. If you cut fresh sign, set and call. If they are down wind, your call will carry and they'll likely come in quiet on you.

• Like 1

Yahoo weather looks much better!! Leaving Thursday cant wait!