Sign in to follow this  
Dcc22hunter

2015 bear pics and story

last year my buddy Chris and i decided to try our luck at a bear. His little brother had a youth deer tag a week or two after bear opened up, so we decided even if we don't see any bears maybe wed find a good buck. we elected to hike into a big bowl we thought there would be some bears in and very little pressure so maybe a big buck. Chris decided he didn't wanna buy a tag just because hauling 2 bears out would not be very fun .

opening morning i found myself at work while Chris was at school. We ditched school and work at noon grabbed some lunch and sat on Chris couch watching the sportsman's channel. i can honestly say it got me a little excited for some odd reason. we arrived at our trail head at around 130 and began hiking in the thick cat claw and prickly-pear. we went about 2.5 miles in and along the way saw some beautiful country and even some bear sign.

we arrived at our camp site and were gonna sit and relax and just cool off for a bit because it was pretty dang hot that day. Well it lasted all about 10 minutes before we both got anxious and began glassing from camp. we glassed for a few minutes and decided to hike up the canyon farther and find a good vantage point.

about a half mile later we found a nice shady hillside and a lot of country in front of us with a huge wash. it had bear written all over it. we glassed for a few hours with only turning up a few deer. the sun was now behind the mountain and we had about 30 minutes before it got dark.neither of us wanted to hike back in the black of night using flashlights because of the prickly pear and cat claw. we decided to wait 10 more minutes then head back a few minutes go by and the sound of a huge branch breaking behind nearby suddenly got our attention. Surely it wasn't a bear right ? we looked at each other and decided it was the wind blowing over an old tree. We were glassing on the hillside about 80 yards below the top. We thought every now and then we thought we could hear footsteps and a snorting/sniffing. i turned around n was watching behind us when a big bear staring down at us. the gun was a few feet below me and as i went for it i turned around and the bear was gone. Chris and i hauled it to the top and peeked over we stared into the bowl until it was too dark to see and never got a glimpse. A little frustrated but excited for what the morning could bring we hiked back to camp in the dark. meandering through the prickly pear and cat claw with our headlamps we were relieved to make it back to camp and cook dinner. We fired up the jet boil and ate dinner. Chris brought his radio and we were able to get the high school football game on a station. My little brother was playing and it was very cool to be way back in the bush and be listening to it. A very cool experience in its self.

The next morning after neither of us got much sleep we rolled out of our sleeping bags in the dark and started heading towards where we were the night before. just as we sat down we saw a bear running through the wash i only ever caught a glimpse but Chris said it was a very small bear. We began glassing turning up a few deer some doe and some smaller bucks. we glassed for a few hours but never saw anything else. A little frustrated we decided to head back and hike out before it got too hot. Along the way we decided to glass into the canyon the bear ran into from the night before. after about 20 mins and nothing to show we decided to head out. i looked down the canyon and found another hunter about a mile away. we watched him for a few minutes to see if he would scare anything up towards us. while i was watching him Chris looked up the canyon we just glassed and said BEAR! i immediately thought he was joking but he slapped my shoulder and told me lay down and get on the gun. Chris is trying to range the bear and explain to me where its at all at the same time. after about a minute i found it and Chris was getting an accurate range. 806 he tells me as he dialed the turrets of his 300 win mag custom western precision rifle.(which is a bad a** rifle). he dialed and we waited for the bear to stop. i got as comfortable as i could and the bear stood over looking a drop off. Chris told me whenever your ready. i took a few deep breathes and shot. Chris told me right over his back shoot again. i reloaded as the bear stood in the same spot. boom!! i shoot again Chris tells me way high reload. i was reloading and Chris told me to calm down and relax just squeeze the trigger. i was excited and shaking like crazy those few seconds when he told me that i slowed my breathing and rested my cross hairs right behind the shoulder. i let out one last deep breathe and sent it. Chris yelled you drilled him!! i was in a little bit of shock before it got to me i just drilled a monster bear. i grabbed a few more bullets and reloaded just in case. Chris said he watched him go down in some thick brush. we waited about 15 minutes before celebrating. jumping up and down a few high fives a hug (manly hug) and a chest bump and we did it. we looked down the canyon and saw the other hunter walking out. im sure he thought we scared every other bear off! we waited a few more mins before realizing where the bear actually died. it was a ling ways up and gonna be steep and rocky. we made a few calls but at such short notice couldn't get anyone able to help recover it. we both knew we could do it but the extra help would have been nice.

We began our hike up the steep canyon to the bear.along the way taking breaks and getting some water. almost to the bear and we found out i was out of water and chris had about a quarter of one left. we decided just to take our time and not get overheated. we knew there was a stream but it was almost to the truck. We kept going and made it to the bear. If you v never killed a bear i will say it is very humbling and truly a different experience than walking up to a deer/elk. after dragging him out of some steep stuff we propped him on a rock which was very difficult. this bear never missed a meal!!! As luck would have it and im sure the man in the sky helped us out there was a seep about 30 yards from where we propped the bear. we got some water and cooled off before taking some photos. we reached the bear at around 10 o clock. after skinning and getting as much meat we grabbed some more water and headed off . after alot of breaks for me anyway, we made it to the truck at around 2. i called my friend dustin whose uncle was a game warden and i headed to get him checked out. finally making it home and completing one of the most memorable and funnest experiences iv ever had! i couldn't thank chris enough for all his help. not many people would hike in and do what he did without a tag especially at our age. Hes a great hunting partner and i cant wait to go out this year and return the favor. hopefully he gets the chance to fill his tag!! i just hope its not so far and steep!! haha

thanks again Chris and to his family for letting him join me miss school and letting me use their rifle!! and to western precision rifles you guys are some hard working dudes and you really know what your doing!!

post-13887-0-06316700-1461209437_thumb.j

post-13887-0-42840200-1461209407_thumb.j

post-13887-0-28185700-1461209471_thumb.j

post-13887-0-02221800-1461209861_thumb.jpg

post-13887-0-52662800-1461209883_thumb.jpg

post-13887-0-94831500-1461209895_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Guest 300ultramag.

Thanks for the read. My favorite part was you listening to your bro play ball. Well written and great bear!

Cool write up man. Congrats on that great bear!

Great job! Pack more water next trip, I got thirsty reading your story!

Awesome hunt! Seeing that seep must have been the biggest relief!

Not sure how I missed this post!!!! Congrats man and well done. Looks steep for sure

Congrats on the nice bruin, and fun hunt! Was it a boar or a sow?

Also what did that skull measure out to be?