Sign in to follow this  
furandfeathers

Desert vs Rocky Mountain

Hello I been searching and haven't seen an answer.If I have 15 bonus points which would be an easier tag to draw.I would like to draw before I can't climb those hills anymore.Desert or Rocky,?,Thanks in advance.

Hello I been searching and haven't seen an answer.If I have 15 bonus points which would be an easier tag to draw.I would like to draw before I can't climb those hills anymore.Desert or Rocky,?,Thanks in advance.

You just need to make sure you are not applying for hunts that you have no mathematical chance of drawing without max points. There are several.

Example - Unit 22

There are approximately 1/10th the Rocky tags as there are desert tags available in the drawing.

As of a few years ago. There were desert tags that were at 2-3% percent chance to draw. So by microfractions desert tags are easier to draw

No such thing as an "easy" sheep tag to draw and then to hunt.

Unit 15B West USED to be kinda of a sleeper. I had hunters there, both resident and non-resident who drew with just 7 points.

Sadly that unit got hammered by pneumonia and you'll see the tags in 15B West ,15C North and 15C South are down to one, and that's probably being generous. NR's are locked out of those units now.

15D North and 15D South have been consolidated this year, now is just 15D. Still lots of rams there, thought the older age class seems to have been more affected by the pneumonia than the younger ones have.

Think over your draw strategy very carefully.

We hunted in Unit 15B West last year with Jerry Uzyn from Colorado last year, and scouted and hunted many, many days before Jerry took this ram, the oldest and largest one we found.

post-11017-0-09766200-1462867612_thumb.jpg

We hunted in Unit 15D North with Jerry Weiers and took this magnificence ram on Day 3. Going to be very tough to find a ram like this one this year. Looks like the pneumonia has hit the older age class rams a lot harder in all these units.

post-11017-0-26111000-1462867823_thumb.jpg

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters