Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

Hornady eld-x

Picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady's 6.5 143 eld-x for Courtney's 264 win mag. Was wondering if anyone here has tried these bullets and what was their opinion of them?

Brent

I have used the factory Hornady ammo 143 eldx in my Ruger American, shoots 1/2 inch groups if I am able to do my part. Very happy with it so far. The eldm also shot excellent groups. This is from the 6.5 creedmore.

Ron

With all 3 of the ruger american 6.5 creedmoors we own the FACTORY ELD-X were averaging .350 groups at 100 yards. If I were to load them and play with seating depth and shoot them out of my custom I know they would be under .250. I just can't get away from my BERGER VLD 140 to load some of these up to try.

• Like 2

What bergers are you shooting?

I am looking for a hunting load for Court's 264 win mag. The browning clip is short and 140 bergers hybrids I am shooting seem to want to be a couple thousands longer than the clip. Loading them to fit the clip opens up my best groups.

It shoots 140 amax good at the right length but I don't have enough of them. In my quest to find more, I found two boxes of the eld-x's. Haven't gotten to shoot them, but what seems interesting is that they just shy of touching the lands when loaded to fit the clip. I loaded some with a .015 jump. We will see how they shoot.

Brent

First off MAGAZINE NOT CLIP....LMAO sorry I had too...

I use the Berger 140 VLD. FYI I measure Cartrige base to ogive CBTO... The ruger Magazines are also short but seating at 2.175 which is .030 off the lands on my custom also work great in the ruger. Only bad thing about the Ruger is the throat is way too deep at 2.255. My custom is at 2.205. Most savage, custom have been 2.205 to 2.225. Measure you throat and see how deep your throat is. If its too deep you will run into this with all bullets. Even though I am .080 away on the lands on the ruger is shoots great. They say the Hybrids are less sensitive to seating depth but I had a heck of a time finding a sweet spot in all my guns.

• Like 1

I shoot the 140 Berger HVLDs also, in 2 different 6.5mm cartridges.

To fit in my R700 magazine box, and where the sweet spot is, I have a .120" jump in my 6.5 SLR, and .080" jump in my .260Rem.

I would like to try the 143 ELD-X also, but two reasons keep me from doing so. 1. Can't find any locally. 2. Can't bring myself to break away from the 140 HVLDs that shoot under .200".

But tinkering is always fun, so if I can get some, I will try them. I know I can't get the 142 NABLRs to shoot well yet, but still working on them.

• Like 1

Off of Browning website.

Magazine Capacity

For all A-Bolts except Micro Hunter — Magnum calibers, including WSM: Three in magazine, one in chamber. Standard calibers: Four in magazine, one in chamber. 223 Rem.: Five in magazine, one in chamber. For A-Bolt Micro Hunter only: Three in magazine, one in chamber.

• Like 1

Where did you get them? I can't find any 7mm rem mag...

If your looking for loaded ammo Midway has the 162gr in stock

My browning a bolt is 30 years old. It has a three shot clip magazine. A clip. Save your "laugh your butt" off comments for your friends. The post was about building a single shot rifle which is not what I what I want for my daughter. I was hoping someone had a idea about how much of a jump the eld-x likes. Glad you can use google

• Like 2

Brent,

I have been playing around with the same bullet in my 6.5-284 and

am still trying to find a good grouping load. I have a bunch on the bench that need to

head to the range! Shame on me.

I did give some 143 eld-x's to my bother in law to load for a 6.5 creedmor and we were shooting steel at 730

and 1235 yards from a ruger precision rifle. I was very impressed. I hope I get a deer tag to really try them out :)

Jeff

With all 3 of the ruger american 6.5 creedmoors we own the FACTORY ELD-X were averaging .350 groups at 100 yards. If I were to load them and play with seating depth and shoot them out of my custom I know they would be under .250. I just can't get away from my BERGER VLD 140 to load some of these up to try.

Those Ruger American Predator's are an amazing value. Great accurate gun for $350.