Sign in to follow this  
Opening Morning

Good Tag? 7 East Peaks Hunt Area 10/21-10/27 Any Elk..

The peaks is a motor vehicle restricted area so your boots are the main travel source un less you have horses. It is a tough hunt for sure.

The bad news is that is probably one of the worst rifle bull elk tags in the state. The good news is Arizona is a really good elk state! I think there are 4 consecutive rifle bull tags leading up to that one. So the elk will be shagged down lower (what the hunt was designed to do). That being said, there are big elk in the unit so you never know! Hope he smokes one!

The peaks unit extends all the way down to the 180 on the west side. You are not limited to just the the peaks or the inner basin. This includes the walk in area around the Nature Conservancy property around Hart Prairie.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/flagstaff/7

I do not think this is anywhere near the worst rifle bull tag in the state. There are lots of elk and some great bulls to be had. As Desertbull pointed out, it is not only the peaks but lots of flat ground as well. Look at a map and you will soon see just how big this area really is. The elk hold pretty tight in the thicker stuff, but there are lots of great bedding areas to hunt.

Any tag is basically a good tag - it's the effort that is put into the hunt, that will decide how good of a tag it turns out to be for the hunter.

• Like 1

I do not think this is anywhere near the worst rifle bull tag in the state. There are lots of elk and some great bulls to be had. As Desertbull pointed out, it is not only the peaks but lots of flat ground as well. Look at a map and you will soon see just how big this area really is. The elk hold pretty tight in the thicker stuff, but there are lots of great bedding areas to hunt.

I've never hunted this exact hunt, mostly going off of the dates and reputation I've heard about the peaks hunts. I have had late October tags in Montana and New Mexico and it's in my opinion the hardest time of year to kill a big bull. I like November much more because atleast you can almost count on snow and they have bachelored back up and aren't sacked away in the thick stuff. I guess the over hunted rifle hunts like 22n in November could be tougher. This will be a tricky hunt but I guess what I was trying to say in my last post is that atleast he's hunting, and in an area that does have big Bulls!

• Like 1

This hunt also run concurrent with hunt 3084. So add 75 cow hunters hunting at the same time. The hunt able areas of the peaks hunt unit can run out of parking at the trail heads. This is a great hunt for the thick headed/tough back pack hunter. For the average Arizona elk hunter it will seem impossible. A lot of these tags never get hunted once a first timer checks the area and see what in store for them.

I've helped and had several successful close friends all of there kills were between 9-10.5 k.

• Like 2