Sign in to follow this  
G_E_E

First timers

My wife, her dad and her sister were very lucky to have drawn a cow tag in 6A this year for the mid October rifle hunt. This will be our first time elk hunting. I have been successful at deer and javelina hunting during the past five years but i myself, haven't been drawn yet for elk. My father in law will primarily be road hunting due to his health. The rest of us can do some hiking. Any tips for me in regards to helping these new hunters will be much appreciated. Were hoping to get two scouting trips in during the summer. Also any information on any cheap cabins in the area will be a big help. Thank you

There are elk all over get out on the roads at dusk and see what Meadows they are going into. Last week on the back roads from Stoneman lake to Mormon mtn to munds park I saw over 300 head of elk. From what I have seen in my years up here they (cows) don't move much from now until the first gun shot.

• Like 2

FYI, the Arizona Elk Society will be holding its annual elk hunt seminar during the day on Saturday, July 30 (details forthcoming). October rifle cow hunts (& all other elk hunts) will be targeted in different presentations. Lots of information for newer hunters, from scouting to hunting strategies to meat care to taxidermy tips. Always something we hunting veterans can learn as well!

• Like 2

That is a fun with a pretty high success rate. Bulls should still be pretty vocal so listen for them and head to them. Now, with that said. The Cows tend to be scattered around the heard bull so the closer you get to him bugleing start keeping your eyes peeled for the cows but don't shoot the first one you see as it could be a yearling, they grow fast.

I wouldn't bother trying to call, just be quiet and sneaky. You mentioned road hunting. I know that G&F has some new rules regarding that over the last few years so read up on what they consider road hunting. Last thing you want is a fine and it would pay to contact the department and ask to be put in touch with whoever is in charge of 6A but during these hunts there are times when the department brings in wardens from other units to help out as there are a bunch of people with tags.

No elk tag for me or my son this year but we had had that hunt in the past and there are literally elk throughout the whole unit. Shoot the biggest caliber you can handle. They are tough.

• Like 2

Sitting water is an alternative to road hunting (unless it's been raining a lot and then they might not be using the water holes). Another alternative - if you have time to scout - is to find travel routes elk are using going to from bedding areas and sit along these routes hoping to intercept. Usually it's possible to find water and travel routes short walks from the road; so there's not a lot of hiking involved. Like PRDATR said, once the shooting starts, the elk tend to move and change up their habits.