Hike4coues

Call cats specifically?

Ok, so I have done some yote calling with mixed success. A little while ago I got a lion photo on a game camera, and it got me to wondering... Is there anyway to target a cat by using certain calls or...? I hope this doesn't seem too stupid of a question, but I just wonder if anyone with more experience than me has some thoughts.

You might check out a couple of Jay Scott's podcast with Craig Steele. He gives some great tips on calling in cats and targeting cats vs. coyotes. Episode 118 I believe.

That never crossed my mind! Thank you very much! Somehow YouTube doesn't come to my mind very often either, and I might have to do a little looking there. Many thanks!!!!!!

Call in "catty" areas and call for a long time. An hour or more per stand. Don't shoot any foxes, coyotes, bobcats, or anything else that comes in

• Like 1

That was my thought fawn deer and antelope calls and sit for a while.

The lion I shot came to a rabbit call and beat the yotes there. I think may have steered clear since there were 2 cats in that river bed.

Call in "catty" areas and call for a long time. An hour or more per stand. Don't shoot any foxes, coyotes, bobcats, or anything else that comes in

Hit the nail on the head. Bring a bow or cross bow for the k9s that come in early. The last bobcat I shot came in just shy of the two hour mark.

I'll play devils advocate. I've been in on 4 that I can recall bobcats. Three of them were 6 minutes exactly, the other was I think 15.

Called in two lions on one stand several years ago. They came in within 2 minutes.

I'll play devils advocate. I've been in on 4 that I can recall bobcats. Three of them were 6 minutes exactly, the other was I think 15.

Called in two lions on one stand several years ago. They came in within 2 minutes.

Really? What's the back story with them? Any pictures of dead cats?

Not much of a story. Walked in, called, heard something coming saw a tail run by. Buddy had one look him dead in the eye but only had a shotgun (before using a shotgun was legal).

Not much of a story. Walked in, called, heard something coming saw a tail run by. Buddy had one look him dead in the eye but only had a shotgun (before using a shotgun was legal).

Dang, you'd think with that many cats that you've called into your stands that you'd have at least one dead!

Mountain lion was about 20 minutes but it was a young one. I suck at the bobcat stands. We found tracks around us on multiple occasions but never seen a bobcat on a stand. I think I have been to used to seeing the coyotes run around and not been good at looking for a sneaky cat crawling around. The lion was almost in my face so it couldn't be missed.

Dang, you'd think with that many cats that you've called into your stands that you'd have at least one dead!

All of the bobcats are dead, just not the lions.

I've called a mess of bobcats in. I won't stay on stand longer than thirty minutes. Had them come in as fast as 20 sec and as long as 18min. Majority in the 8 min range. Called in one lion, only had a shotgun when gun wasn't legal for lion. He came in at 15 min mark. I've never called for lion so I can't help any there. This just what I do and works for me.

Brian