So I'm thinking its time to add an AR type weapon to the safe before politicians ban then Maybe I'm paranoid but...

Anyway, 25 years ago I carried an M16 in Uncle Sam's Army so I'm familiar with the platform but I look at them now and the built rifles and build kit options are endless.

I'm more Hunter than shooter so I guess a longer barrel to hunt coyotes is wise but not dead set

I'd love to spend between 700 and 1000 w/o optics

Can anyone share some thoughts on factory built options and build kit recipes?

I'm a reader so any sites or links that discuss the subject are great

Thinking 5.56 but would consider AR 10 7.62 if there's a good argument or even an AK 47 but still consider that the enemy's rifle

Cheers

Put your own together.

20150410_134816_zps8xzoskle.jpg

First 3 down the 138.00 barrel.

20150410_114824_zpsxcnnlpgo.jpg

I second the "build your own" idea. You can get exactly what you want and have fun putting it together. Building AR's is addicting.

I too have been toying with the idea of building my own. I have it narrowed down to Aero Percision upper and lower but that is as far as I have gotten.

Please let us know of your progress so that us few newbies can learn from you.

Check out the website AR15.com. They have a forum on building your own AR with very helpful info as to where to get the best parts, parts on sale, answers to build questions, ect

I studied and read up about building my own on this site and it helped me a lot. But be careful because once you build one it becomes habbit forming.

Good Luck

I agree with the build your own motto. It's fun and you can build exactly what you want.

You mention you are more of a hunter than a shooter, but what are you planning to hunt with this? If it is just coyotes and stuff, than an AR-15 platform rifle will be fine. If you want a deer/elk gun, then you would want to step up to an AR-10/SR-25 platform. Keep in mind that 223/556 ammo is much cheaper to shoot than anything you would feed in the larger platform. Also, components for the larger platform tend to be a bit more expensive.

I too suggest building your own. You may not know exactly what you want, but spend some time shooting AR's with folks you know and you can start to develop a list of what you are wanting out of your rifle, or equally important, what you do not want. Arfcom has a lot of info that is useful, but there is also a ton of BS and ego's to wade through, so I only use that site when necessary. Brownells has a printable document that you can use to track all the individual parts you will need. Plenty of videos and guides online with all the steps laid out nice and neat. Not sure what part of town you are in, but you are more than welcome to use my tools to help put yours together.

Below is the first AR I built, and did so for shooting in 3 gun matches. I started the build almost two years ago, buying parts one at a time. I'm not sure how many rounds it has down the tube now, but I know it is well over 8k rounds, and still holds sub-moa with handloads. In that time, it has only had 3 FTF/FTE's, all attributed to faulty primers in factory ammo. There is nothing difficult about building one, and if you ever have any questions, or want to talk about options for your build, please feel free to ask. I'll answer what I can or refer you to someone if I can't.

post-3967-0-92249200-1465935278_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers.

I would only shoot varmit. Maybe a javelina. All other hunting is bolt action rife

So. Looks like three twist options. I would assume I'll shoot 55 grain mostly. Does the 1:8 give the best options all the way around

I also have a 1:8 in the 18" barreled rifle above, and have shot up to 77gr and down to 50gr. All have been acceptable for that firearms application, with the 69 SMK's the best I've yet tried for longer range stuff. It is also a 223 Wylde chamber.

If that is all you are planning on hunting, then stick with the AR-15 platform and not the AR-10/SR-25. 55gr stuff will be most of your plinking ammo. The light stuff is great for p-dogs and such, though I've yet to take mine out for that. For stink pigs I'd look at something in the 60-70gr range, and not quite so explosive. The only issue you would have with a 1:8 twist would be when loading the lighter pills hot, it would give you a high RPM and they could fly apart once they leave your barrel.

1:8 twist

HPR brand reman 60gr V Max

20150602_114848_zpsnhieouch.jpg

20150602_112952_zpsx41f966o.jpg

And what happens at these distances.

20150602_115233_zpsz4tvqfu9.jpg

My old Bushmaster V Match.

20150317_150408_zpsmhpxgf3m.jpg

I have a 16 inch carbine for plinking and my 20" Wilson bull barrel for hunting situations. If you do decide to build your own and find lowers for a good deal. Buy several. Doesn't hurt. If you are near Peoria and want to check them out or need or want help building. Let me know

Sounds like 1:8 for me. Leaning toward 20 inch maybe bull barrel.

I read something about most lowers coming out of the same four or five machine shops and the. They just stamp a logo on them.

Seems like a few tools are key like that magazine insert for holding in the vise

Thanks for the tips so far. Think I'll print that spreadsheet parts list