knothead

What to use for Black river crossing?

Taking my first ever trip to Black river crossing for small mouth in a couple weeks. After looking at all my gear, I have determined that I am pretty much a trout fisherman and don't have a clue as to what will work for smallies. If anyone can tell me what they have had luck with including size and color I would appreciate it. What pound test should I use as well?

I have wanted to do this trip for nearly 30 years and I'm finally doing it.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 weight with a mix of dark hellgrammite patterns. Sculpin tied in bluegill colors work great too. Craw colors in just about any 3-5 inch plastic will work.

Panther Martins, Rooster Tails, Small floating Pin's minnow ( or similar lure ) , small Rebel Craw All on 6lb or less line with a light or ultra light spinning rod .. This assortment will catch about everything in the water, from Big Browns and Small Mouth to those little native chubs. If you are going to fly fish , or floating a fly with a spinning outfit as others have said hard to beat hellgrammite patterns, though I still catch plenty using Warden's Worry with a red tail.

This time of year there are a lot of cicada and grasshoppers hitting the water. To me nothing is more fun than getting them to hit on the surface. A rebel craw is perfect - toss it as close to the opposite bank as possible, work it like you would a dry fly keeping your line up stream then as soon as it starts to get pulled, do a fast retrieve and try to bounce it off the rocks.

In the afternoon, a lot of times if you put it in still water they'll come up and take it within a second or two.

Glad you are getting out there - it's a special place.

2" pink single tail grub, 1/8 oz green jig head worked by far the best for us the last few years

haven't been for a while to the black but we used to kill em on small tube baits in smoke grey or green watermelon w/ red flake. also as mentioned panther martins are awesome!

found these a while back and been using at other creeks and they catch smallies and browns as well as stocker rainbows

if catch and release either cut off the bottom treble or buy the single hook ones

joe's flys

super striker spinner

james

bring a small net and catch live crawdads and hellgrammites. i have fished the black a lot and all i carry is hooks and split shots anymore. bass can't resist live bait. you can usually stop in a good shallow pool and catch enough bait to last the day in not much time