Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

COAL

Does anyone know what the coal is on a 300 win mag savage long range hunter? I know I've shot 3.340 out of it with no issues. I found a round with a 3.600 coal I'd like to try, just not sure it will work.

Build a dummy round to 3.6" and see if you can chamber it.

I'd also make sure your magazine dimensions will allow for 3.6" otherwise you'd end up single shot...

• Like 1

Sounds like your looking at the new ABM ammo. Chances are the 3.6 won't fit in a factory magazine but it may chamber ok if your throat is long enough. Those 215 almost need to be chambered specifically for that bullet because they are so long.

There is no "COAL" in a rifle. You have chamber depth, and magazine length. COAL is Combined (or Case) Overall Length, from base of case to tip of bullet.

I would think all factory ammo will fit in all factory chambers. But, 3.600" COAL seems long for factory ammo in .300WM. COAL for chamber fit is dependent on bullet shape. You can have a Hybrid type bullet with a really long ogive that still is seated off the lands, or a round nose that would hit the lands at a much shorter COAL. CBTO (case base to ogive) is what you need to verify with your chamber.

What is your factory mag length on your savage, is it 3.48"? My R700 LA are 3.686" mag length, but a Ruger M77 LA is only 3.338".

Sounds like your looking at the new ABM ammo. Chances are the 3.6 won't fit in a factory magazine but it may chamber ok if your throat is long enough. Those 215 almost need to be chambered specifically for that bullet because they are so long.

Correct, those are the ones I was looking at.

There is no "COAL" in a rifle. You have chamber depth, and magazine length. COAL is Combined (or Case) Overall Length, from base of case to tip of bullet.

I would think all factory ammo will fit in all factory chambers. But, 3.600" COAL seems long for factory ammo in .300WM. COAL for chamber fit is dependent on bullet shape. You can have a Hybrid type bullet with a really long ogive that still is seated off the lands, or a round nose that would hit the lands at a much shorter COAL. CBTO (case base to ogive) is what you need to verify with your chamber.

What is your factory mag length on your savage, is it 3.48"? My R700 LA are 3.686" mag length, but a Ruger M77 LA is only 3.338".

You're right, I worded my question poorly....I'm wondering if my mag length will allow for a cartridge that measures 3.600

I would almost guarantee it won't fit in the mag, it may chamber.

At $70 for a box of 20 your about 1/3 of the cost of your own reloading kit.

I looked up some info last night. The last Savage that I worked on that ran those 215's had a C.B.T.O. of 2.643". That is the maximum allowable length in the magazine. That puts the C.O. A. L. right at 3.548" using the published nose length of .905 found in Bergers product catalog. 3.600" may chamber but I doubt it will fit the magazine.

• Like 1

My Remington 700 L Range rifle COAL fits in the mag is 3.615. I think it was 3.655 when I touched he Lands