KaibabHunter

Getting a new rifle - advice needed

So I need some help. I'm mostly a bow hunter and only rifle hunt on my kids tags. I know enough to get them up and running out to 300 yards. I have a couple hand me down rifles but I am ready to finally get my all around hunting rifle. I don't want to change up ammo etc based on species/tags so basically an elk setup oughta cover everything imo.

My budget is $1200 for gun, scope, rings, recoil pad, and taxes. I'm looking to practice out to 600, but prefer shots under 300. Just in case I screw up and he goes from 250 to 500, I wanna be able to take a follow up shot with confidence. I don't reload, and frankly have too much on my plate as it is to start that venture so the gun will have to shoot factory ammo. I hunt hard and want a light weight gun. I'm looking at BDC reticle scopes, probably Leupold or Vortex based on budget.

I'm liking the Tikka T3 Lite 300 Win Mag and think I've made up my mind in that. Where should I start for factory ammo? I'd like an ammo option in 165-180 grain. And any scope recommendations as well. Maybe some of you have this gun and know what works well out of the box. Not much of a gun guy so any advice is appreciated.

Thx Ryan

• Like 1

Buy a used rifle, maybe even used optic. Spend as much or more on optic as rifle. I would rather have a $500 rifle with good glass and be able to wring as much as possible, than have a $1000 rifle and put a piece of garbage $200 scope on it. You can't hit what you can't see. And for shots over 300, you will need a scope that tracks true. Just know that a SFP scope is only accurate for subtensions at max power.

• Like 2

Good choice in rifle! Not much better out there. My Tikka likes nosler and barnes ammo. Hates hornady ammo. barnes 300 win mag 180 gn ttsx shoots best out of my .300. Factory ammo and 1/2 moa. Cant beat that.

Lance how do you figure SFP is only accurate for dialing at max power? Please explain as i have never found that to be true.

• Like 1

Kaibab hunter I would suggest shooting a light weight 300 win. before you buy one, when using stiff loads or heavy bullets they have stout recoil in an 8 pound gun and under gun. You can also put a brake on the Tikka. You didn't mention what calibers you already own? A 7 mm rem. magnum is also a very useful round for large deer and elk with the right bullet. My self I would stick with Leupold. If you buy a BDC scope make sure you confirm drop with your choosen load for each post (yardage) in the scope.

Good hunting

• Like 1

Lance: I agree that the money should be in the scope. I should qualify for a discount which will up my purchasing power on the glass. So my $350 will hopefully get me a $500+ scope.

AJ: Good to hear about the Tikka! I've read quite a bit on em and like what I hear about the weight, smooth action, and accuracy.

452: I'm gonna start with a limb saver recoil pad and go from there. If I need to add a brake I'll look into one but I don't think I can squeeze it into my initial budget. My boy's guns are a .270 and a 7mm-08. I was gifted a very nice 25-06 and would prefer to leave it in the safe.

You are correct on dialing being consistent. I misspoke, great catch. I should clarify, in meaning holdover.

OP was talking about a BDC type reticle, which are common in SFP scopes, not so much in FFP scopes. I took that to mean he would be using holdover for yardage coeections. A SFP subtention is only accurate at full power. So if you have a BDC type reticle which are usually 0, 1.5, 4.5, 7.5, 11 MOA hash marks, a SFP scope will be just that at its max power. Go down in power and the subtension marks now do not equal those holds. If you go to true half power (like 8 on a 4-16x), values double. Or 4x value at 1/4 power, like on 4x.

• Like 1

Ok Gotcha...wasnt sure if I missed something or had something new to learn

There are several apps you can get for your phone that will let you match the reticle, yardage, magnification and rifles ballistics. I am currently using Strelok and I believe Lance is using Shooter. Never owned a Tikka, but can't recall ever hearing anything negative about them either. Tons of quality ammo out there for either 300 or 7 mags. Can't go wrong either way. Find one used so that you can spend as much as possible on your glass/rings/bases.

I too used to buy glass that was half the cost, or less, of the rifle it was on. Now I've sold several rifles to help fund better glass for the ones I really want to shoot. Not sure I could ever go back to shooting cheap glass, except for my two vintage rifles that have period specific glass on them.

I went to Cabelas and held the tikka and am sold! Super light and and smooth. Researching scopes and depending on the deal I can get am looking at: Vortex Viper PST 4x16x50, Vortex Viper HS-T 6x24x50, or Leupold VX-3i 4.5x14x50 CDS. Any thoughts? What makes the rings any better/worse and what brands should I be looking at?

I like the leupold better than the vortex. Just my opinion. The vortex glass is slightly better though but the leupold seems to be made better.