Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Shelters

I'm looking at maybe going floorless, the ultra light tarp systems have me intrigued. Anyone have experience using a shelter like this here in AZ? Is this a bad idea for our environment? What I'm mainly concerned with is critters. Throwing one of these up in the high mountains is one thing but scorpions and snakes looking for warmth are entirely another. Last thing anyone needs is to get bitten or stung by something 5 miles from the car. Shaking things out before climbing in is a given, I do that anyway with just about everything but it still concerns me.

And it would seem that unlike a self supporting tent, staking a tarp to the ground appears critical. If a stake pulls in the middle of the night wouldn't the whole thing kinda collapse? Last Nov I weathered a heck of a storm through the whole night. The rocky, shallow ground wasn't the greatest at keeping my tent staked down and I was forced to hold one corner down with my hand from inside until the wind subsided enough for me to risk going out and re-staking it. While it might seem I'm answering my own questions, I'm humble enough to admit that perhaps I should've just staked more carefully or chosen a better site.

What's your guy's experience with these?

No experience here but I would definitely look into a lightweight bivy, something from borah maybe, to keep the critters out of your bag.

I use a Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain tent. He is a small business out of Oregon. He is also a retired firefighter paramedic. If you are going floor less you are going to NEED a bivy here in AZ!! He also makes a bivy. The tent uses one trekking pole or stick about 48" tall and seven stakes. Compresses down to softball size. I love the thing. Think it weighs in at 8oz.

I use a Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain tent. He is a small business out of Oregon. He is also a retired firefighter paramedic. If you are going floor less you are going to NEED a bivy here in AZ!! He also makes a bivy. The tent uses one trekking pole or stick about 48" tall and seven stakes. Compresses down to softball size. I love the thing. Think it weighs in at 8oz.

ive been eyeballing his alpine basin. I'd like to add a stove for some of my colder backpack hunts.

I don't mind the snakes and scorpions, but would just hate to share my bag with a skunk.

When I woke up a few times with spiders all over me I went sealed tent all the way.

I woke up last trip with daddy long legs by the hundreds all over the tent and my gear stored outside.

I'll carry a little extra weight

• Like 1

When I woke up a few times with spiders all over me I went sealed tent all the way.

I woke up last trip with daddy long legs by the hundreds all over the tent and my gear stored outside.

I'll carry a little extra weight

This is what I'm talking about. Good God... The tent that's on my radar is Kuiu's Mountain Star: dig the dual vestibules and exterior poles. But, I already have a pretty decent 3 season tent that has served me very well so I'd like to try the floorless option if for no other reason than experience.

I'm looking hard at the Kifaru Supertarp with a stove. It got down to 18* in the canyons I hunted last Nov and prior to that a late Sept fishing trip at 10K in CO found me with snow on the ground when I woke up. That stove seems like it'd be a Godsend. Anyone try or use any of the Outdoor Research bivvies?

Guest oneshot

Hammocks are small, easy to setup in most places, and with a cover and the right dossbag work just fine...

A tarp system is often used in conjunction with a bivy ... Integral has some real nice setups a little pricey but very good ... I now prefer Hammock sleeping when it can be done and always keep a tarp just in case.

I was ready to pick up this but then they stopped making them.

http://borahgear.com/borahgami.html

The snowy side bivy is a 4 season bivy. I used it alone with out a tarp when there no weather forecasted but I've found its nice to have the "home feeling" a tarp gives even thou I realize the feeling is subconscious because besides for weather, a tarp provides zero actual protection

Now in December and Jan a floor less and stove would do very well. I've been trying to find a reason to buy a tipi and stove but for maybe 1 outing or 2 a year I have not jumped in yet.

I have migrated slowly toward the floorless idea. Mostly just using different tarp setups with and without bivies. I like the idea of bivies more than I actually like sleeping in them. I always wake up in a viscous cycle of sweating from the lack of breathability most bivies offer then freezing from being wet with sweat while trying to dry out.

At 5,000ish ft and above the nights get cool enough that I haven't worried about snakes and never had an issue with bugs during hunting seasons. Summer is a different story. Bear Paw is making nests for some of the floorless designs that will let you transition to floorless style easier.

A a good tarp is more than capable of keeping the rain off your bag. It will also also shade you from the afternoon sun on those October hunts. The back (slope) is faced toward the prevailing wind direction and it sheds the wind and water just fine without the need for a bivy or fear or drenching my sleep system. It is my lightest setup and can be tied down to items I find onsite. Usually rocky places with no chance of staking down, I use rocks and anything resembling a pole to anchor the tarp in position. They can withstand some crazy wind if you put some thought into setup. This is my preferred method as I often glass as the sun is rising while still in my sleeping bag. I feel the only thing I am lacking is warmth in the full on winter. My next step will be to a tipi or Sawtooth with the ability to run a stove.

Many times my shelter ends up being super simple and works perfectly like the picture below.

post-11266-0-05459300-1469798178_thumb.jpg

• Like 2