Hey guys I just bought a trail cam and was wondering if you guys ever had any trouble with any one trying to take it.I set it up a few days ago and the thought of it still being there keeps going through my mind.Do you guys leave it in the open or set it in some brush.It was a cheep one I got at wal-mart just to see if I like it, and if I do then move up to an more expensive one.Let me know if I should be concerned about it or just let it be.Also how long should I leave it out there?Thanks and God Bless

If you put it on a waterhole, you're asking for trouble. I've never had anyone bother mine when set on a deer trail or salt lick though. Just don't put them where there is a lot of hikers, bikers, and such and you will be alright. I would definatly hide it though, no matter where you hang it.

If your just trying to pattern a buck or determine the local deer population and are not concerned with taking a picture that will be the October centerfold of Field and Stream, then get some tree stand steps, the strap on kind, and hang your cam about 9-12 feet up a tree, then take the steps out with you or hide them nearby. All your pics will be of the downward angle variety, but so what. You can still tell if it's a good buck.

I've always had mine over salt licks or trails and never worried about it. Well I set mine up on a pretty remote drinker a couple weeks back in a roadless area that I thought was safe. I put a padlock on it and a safety cable just to make sure cause I had a wierd feeling about it. My buddy went and got it the other day and said that it was still in the tree but facing towards the ground and that there was human tracks there. Got the film developed today, only 9 pics, and I got the culprit. This dude is wearing full camo and carrying a rifle and the date on the picture is before the bear hunt even started so I don't know what he's up to. Anyway, the picture after his self portrait is of his arm and of the ground as he was pushing it down. I don't know if he tried to steal it or not but just messing with it ticked me off. It hung up there for over a week face down so who knows what I missed in that time. The first pic was of a huge 6x6 bull and I even got a picture of a dude on a 4 wheeler in the distance also. Remember I said earlier that it's a roadless area so what these guys are up to I don't know. I'm just thankful that I had the padlock and safety cable on there just in case. I guess it's the chance we take using these things. If someone's willing to break the law by driving off road on a quad then who knows what they'll do ethically.

Josh

If you look hard enough you just might find a bear bait of some kind. I have come across a few of them while out in the field.

I had a buddy get one taken but he found out who did it and got the camera back. I would never leave one anywhere unless it was the complete middle of nowhere without a lock and cable on it. Not that locks and cables will deter everyone but at least it will deter people without saws.

Bret M.

Definitely advise a lock and cable or chain. Something strong enough that you cannot cut it with anything a passerby might be carrying along on a hike. Cable will keep the honest guys honest and the scumbags will get it if they really want it. If you bought it, I would guess that you have already decided to put it in the field, so placement is key.

I've heard of lots of them being stolen or damaged on another website, but for the most part, it is not a problem. Some people like the guys on quads and hunting out of season might spot them, and try to prevent you from recovering incriminating photos.

HAve not lost any myself but like others, I keep them in seldom travelled areas way off the road away from most hikers and hunters.

Let us know how those budget cams work! Seems I read a post a while back about them being a bit too sensitive and snapping shots with nothing in the field of view. You might want to burn a roll of film in the back yard taking notes on where you are when it fires before you put it out in the field.

Between myself and a friend we have about 5 or 6 trail cameras and they are all inexpensive ones except for one. The cheap ones all work just fine if placed properly. The key to good placement is aim them away from the sun. I actually prefer to buy the cheap cameras because I can sleep better at night knowing that if it's stolen it's not a huge financial loss. My buddy and I both had cameras stolen off a water tank in a very remote area this past spring, and it really pissed me off! Both cameras were pad locked to the tree with a cable. I believe the majority of trail cameras that are stolen are stolen by other hunters. To me it's sad to think that hunters have so little respect for each other. I personally think that trail cameras can be an extremly effective tool for scouting and locating game animals when you can't physically be in the field. If I had to guess I would say that in the last 6-8 months we have gotten pictures of literally hundreds of coues deer, lots of elk, some javelina, 10 mountain lions, dozens of bear, coyotes, fox, ringtail, turkey, hawk. To me trail cameras are money and time well spent!

just wondering about the salt licks i keep reading about that the cams are going up over. Are people using natural salt licks, licks that are placed by ranchers for the cattle or are you strategically placing your own? and if so, what kind are being used. I see them all the time, have never seen deer working them, but would like to utilize some cams and looking for some pointers. Thanks for the help

trufletch

I use bashas water softener pellets for my salt plots and they work great. The deer will hit the salt pretty consistently depending on the concentration of deer in the area and the moisture in the air.

does anybody make a trail camera that has a sattlelite uplink so i can sit at home and watch it on the tv? all that walkin' back and gettin' the camera and then goin' back again and again is too much work for us lazy guys. they need to have a channel on the dish network that is all trail cameras, all the time. i think i'm gonna set one up by the moon valley nudist camp. Lark.

I like the salt blocks that you get at the feed store. They also have minerals in them, not just 100% salt. You can get small ones that will fit in your pack for about $2.00 each.

Here's another trick. Take a peanut butter jar and cut the bottom out of it. Unscrew the lid and nail it to a dead tree or wooden fence post. Then screw the jar onto the lid. The freaking deer go nuts over that Skippy Creamy! Just remember to take all your trash out with you please. I'm not trying to cause a riot.

if you put out bait, whatever kind for whatever animal, and a bear comes in, did you break the law? or is it only illegal if you shoot one? i ain't tryin' to be cute, just wondering. i know that for years the only thing you could legally bait was a bear during the baiting season. now, from what i've heard, you can bait anything but bears, in Az. can you sit on a kill and wait for a bear to come in? enquiring minds want to know. Lark.