Viper

Which factory ammo to extend range/accuracy of my .270?

I had great luck with HSM in 25/06, 7RM and 30/06.

I am glad to hear that the Hornady Precision Hunter line is performing well. I think that you will get your best bang for the buck if they offer it in .270. It would not surprise me if we see that line of ammo go up in price a bunch as it gets more popular.

• Like 1

I had great luck with HSM in 25/06, 7RM and 30/06.

I am glad to hear that the Hornady Precision Hunter line is performing well. I think that you will get your best bang for the buck if they offer it in .270. It would not surprise me if we see that line of ammo go up in price a bunch as it gets more popular.

Shoot! They don't offer it in .270. They offer it in .308, .30-06, and larger.

Good to know about the Nosler. That will save me some time and $.

What do you know about the all copper bullets...on coues. I don't want something that's going to punch pencil holes through the animal. Considering slower velocities from the .270 beyond 300 yards.

What do you know about the all copper bullets...on coues. I don't want something that's going to punch pencil holes through the animal. Considering slower velocities from the .270 beyond 300 yards.

Killed a coues-size mulie at 250 yds with Barnes TTSX. Big hole through the opposite lung and big exit channel, so not a pencil hole. Not sure what it would do at longer distances but I think a shoulder shot would have been better than vitals. High shoulder was recommended on another thread.

HSM = Hunting Shack Munitions = The Hunting Shack--- built and based in Montana. They load primarily Berger bullets to high tolerances in 'factory ammo'. There is a great episode from Best of the West I think where they walked through the entire process.

HSM has two different .270 loads in their Trophy Gold line--- 130gr and 150gr.

I don't have any experience with all copper except for Shotgun slugs so I'll have to differ to others on terminal performance. It appears the rule of thumb for all copper bullets is they need more velocity to expand properly.

I've killed one coues with the 130gr ttsx from 270 WSM Mv 3400 fps. Deer was facing me at 274 yds. Bullet hit him in the throat and exited the back left hind quarter. Flipped him over backwards, he didn't move for almost 30sec then jumped up and ran 50 yds then expired.

For my REM 700 .270 CDL I use Federal Premium 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. They shot better than I can shot the gun and I have killed 2 coues and one mule deer. The first coues was quartered to me slightly @ 289yds high shoulder insides jelly, the second coues was broadside @ 400yds insides jelly, and the mule deer was @ 511yds, however I pulled the shot and smacked him square in the neck, they seem to shoot great out of my rifle but I am no expert. I just use a vortex scope with a target turret and printed out charts but it seems to work.

• Like 1

For my REM 700 .270 CDL I use Federal Premium 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. They shot better than I can shot the gun and I have killed 2 coues and one mule deer. The first coues was quartered to me slightly @ 289yds high shoulder insides jelly, the second coues was broadside @ 400yds insides jelly, and the mule deer was @ 511yds, however I pulled the shot and smacked him square in the neck, they seem to shoot great out of my rifle but I am no expert. I just use a vortex scope with a target turret and printed out charts but it seems to work.

I use the Federal Premium 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips also.My 270 Browning Stalker with the Boss system and milldot scope has killed 14 coues and one muley by myself and friends.Have not lost a deer yet,knock on wood.Three bucks were 115 or better,none were mine,arggg.

• Like 2