Sign in to follow this  
Paladin529

Problems 7mm Rem Mag 162 ELD X

Next time, start low and work UP with powder charge weights. Far safer that way.

And seat long and work shorter too. I usually go in fairly large jumps (.0400") when testing seatkng depth, then fine tune with those results.

Try getting a good reloading book and reading it for safety reasons. Even though 62.0 is safe in the guns I worked up loads for, it might not be in all.

62.9 is Hornady's "Max" listed charge weight using RL22 and the 162 ELD-X. NEVER start at max.

• Like 1

Ya I was just following Dan Newberrys OCW method. He actually has you go over the max load in his method. I didn't want to do that. I want max velocity so I don't bother with lower charges. If I can't get them to shoot I'll probly scrap em. I've used this method for a few years with excellent results out of accubonds and Berger vlds

I think you guys misunderstood I don't start shooting at max load . I load the sighters per ocw method for over pressure signs. I never start a load test with the highest charge. I go lowest to highest. That's just the way I get my loads for test, I get the max per the manual of bullet I'm testing and load down go to Dan Newberry's website his method works very well

OK. I lnow the OCW test procedures. Glad you started with the low charge weights and went uo during testing. I misunderstood your two posts where you said you started at 62.9 and worked down.

I see no problem with going above book max when testing properly as long as you know what signs to look and feel for. Most book "max" are conservative for legal reasons. Only YOUR gun can tell you its max load. Too many variables to say with certainty what safe max is in all rifles. But max load might not be the most accurate load. Mine seldom are.

• Like 1

Here's an ocw I did using RL22. I chose load from target 2 since those first three have same point of impact. Do you guys agree? I then loaded more at varying seating depths. I don't have pictures of that target but I got the same results on groups as before.

I'm no expert here, but isn't 5 the load you would want to work with? I always look for the least amount of vertical stringing while playing with powder weights, which tells me I'm in an accuracy node of the barrel. Then I play with seating depth to get my horizontal stringing under control. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I was taught and it works pretty well for me.

Good point. I didn't think of that. I just know this ocw method has you focus on loads with same point of impact in relation to the target rather than group size. Then play with seating depth. The vertical stringing is a good point. I wish I had a chrony to see what the muzzle velocities were doing.

My advice is to try different brass (from experience). I've had my best groups with Remington.

I know you said Norma brass but I've personally seen groups go stupid with different brands of brass.

Also, without having bullets in front of me, check the length of the BULLET, it's really not the weight of the bullet, it's the length.

For instance, if you shot a Nosler partition then a Barnes solid copper, your groups would (typically) open up like in the photos.

Just my opinion,

On 8/24/2016 at 6:42 AM, PowellSixO said:

Nice group. What did you end up having to do to shrink your groups?

Bump to the OP what was the conclusion??