Edge

Grizzly vs 9mm

I don't go to black bear country with less than my 38 super. I wouldn't set foot in grizzly country with anything less than a HOT 44 mag load. The only reason I would even think about a 10mm is fast follow up shots and mag capacity.

I would prob have a 12ga and a wheel gun though knowing me.

I don't go to black bear country with less than my 38 super. I wouldn't set foot in grizzly country with anything less than a HOT 44 mag load. The only reason I would even think about a 10mm is fast follow up shots and mag capacity.

I would prob have a 12ga and a wheel gun though knowing me.

Shot placement won the day this time. I've chosen to carry nothing less than a .357 in black bear country.

One of my coworker's spent 2 years at Ft Richardson, AK. Whenever they went afield, someone in the squad was assigned bear duty and given a 12ga w/ slugs.

This thread is all Monday morning quarterbacking. I am sure the guide was quite familiar with bears and the area. His duty to his clients was to keep them safe and put them on fish. As I read his story he put 7 bullets on target. There are alot of people that carry a side arm in the woods that coundlt get on bullet on target because they don't practice. Now lets talk about all that recoil in a large wheel gun or the 10mm that has been suggested. Again you might get lucky with one round but keeping o target in the heat of the moment with that power is difficult. I have family that live and work in Grizz country. Some see bears on an everyday occurrence. Some carry some dont. All have had encounters. the reality is 99% of bears black or grizzly AZ or AK just want to get away from people. Bears that are not startled are pretty easy to read. As you read through this thread I sense fear. I would hedge to guess that most on this site don't run into or see bears very often. As I read this article these guys did what they are supposed to. They were familiar with the area. They made noise going in. They simply startled the bear. The guide then again did waht he was supposed to. he protected them. I would rather have a guy with a 9mm that can put that magazine on target than someone with a cannon that MIGHT have the control to get 1 round on target.

• Like 1

Talk about armchair quarterbacking... watch the video of the grizzly charge that snapchat just posted, then come back and tell me it's just fine to carry a 9mm in that situation to protect clients. I leave for Alaska tomorrow, i will be taking a 44 with hot hard cast loads because it's my responsibility to protect my family. I will also be carrying bear spray as a first option,because it is proven to be more effective in deterring bears,but not usable in certain situations. I understand that I will most likely need neither. But if the one in 1000 situation occurs I will be ready, because it's worth it to me to defend my family and carry 4 extra pounds around. There might be no second chance when deAling with those massive bears.

My thinking has changed through the years. I used to be all about big guns and overkill. But I have come to feel that a smaller gun that you can control better is the gun you want. I carry my 9mm and practice with it. I am confident I can keep dumping rounds on a target until the clip is empty or the situation is resolved. I know most dont agree with this but that is my opinion. It's more about what you are comfortable using than the size. And it did end well with the guide and gun doing their jobs, what more could you ask?

Talk about armchair quarterbacking... watch the video of the grizzly charge that snapchat just posted, then come back and tell me it's just fine to carry a 9mm in that situation to protect clients. I leave for Alaska tomorrow, i will be taking a 44 with hot hard cast loads because it's my responsibility to protect my family. I will also be carrying bear spray as a first option,because it is proven to be more effective in deterring bears,but not usable in certain situations. I understand that I will most likely need neither. But if the one in 1000 situation occurs I will be ready, because it's worth it to me to defend my family and carry 4 extra pounds around. There might be no second chance when deAling with those massive bears.

My point is the criticism of a bad situation that worked out because the guide was prepared. He had a weapon and knew how to use it. Glad to hear about your bear spray as I believe that is a highly effective deterrent. I have been present on 4 occasions where bear spray was deployed and that solved the problem. Carry what you carry but don't tell a guy standing over a dead bear he should have done it this way. I guarantee that this guide has more bear knowledge, experience and encounters than just about any of us commenting here. Bear are predictable. I have a 44, 45 and 9mm. I know that I can repeatedly, consistently and accurately put multiple rounds on target with the 9mm. I would be curious to see how many people here commenting could put the hot 44 on target with 6 rounds in under 2 seconds. I dont feel that way about my 44. thats what I am talking about.

Then again maybe the louder bang will scare the bear away after the miss....

Good luck with that 9mm when you go to grizzly country.maybe just take a 22 and put 50 rounds on target vs the bear? I'll take a gun with a good likelihood to do the job.

Does anyone have experience with the Buffalo Bore +P ammo he used?

I'm curious if it would be safe in my Beretta 92FS... ​