Edge

Grizzly vs 9mm

I understand who Phil shoemaker is, but he got lucky this time, should have never been caught with anything smaller then some hot load hard cast 10mm in grizzly country ...especially as the guide. talk about a wake up call! I can't imagine how terrifying that would be!

• Like 1

I carry a 9mm off duty. Having said that I barely feel equipped well enough for a meth head let alone a charging pissed off grizz. Definately a poor gamble to carry a 9 in grizz country. Especially a steel framed Smith since there is little to no weight benefit over a full size 10mm, 45 or 44 wheel gun.

• Like 2

The bear is dead. Nobody was hurt. I would say that the 9mm did what it was supposed to. He had the control to get on target and put the bullets where they needed to be.

• Like 3

WOW.. Kudos to this guy. That is straight up crazy. I like to carry my 1911 but after hearing this story I might even leave a backup mag ready...

Should of had a .338 wheel gun or a 50 bmg TC or a 44super duper magnum! or a 10mm that's only 1mm more than what he had!! Dude should of had ANYTHING!! Else!! Except the 9mm that killed the bear. dang ole 9mm got lucky when it killed something.

• Like 1

It did work...point is, chances are much better that a more powerful handgun has a much better chance of killing a grizzly.he owes it to his clients,as their guide, to be able to protect them to the best of his ability.that means not relying on a 9mm to stop a bear attack. You're not going to find much to argue that if you talk to people that llive and work up north.he got lucky.

• Like 1

Yes... he knew the chances of running into a bear were high. He should've packed something with a bigger punch.

• Like 1