Non-Typical Solutions

Evening greeter!!!

I saw one this morning, mojave. Had my shovel too, but I didn't kill it. Total bitch move.

Hood rat mojave? Was it carrying? Did you bring a shovel to a gunfight?

I saw one this morning, mojave. Had my shovel too, but I didn't kill it. Total bitch move.

i just like to walk around with a shovel.

Redneck BBQ? Swat the snake, and cook it with the same tool you killed it with.

post-1241-0-90336900-1471622044.jpg

• Like 4

i just like to walk around with a shovel.

Redneck BBQ? Swat the snake, and cook it with the same tool you killed it with.

attachicon.giftawq1.jpg

Always good to see them snakes before they see you.

Speaking of shovels, BBQ and dinner, couple days ago one of MULEPACKHUNTER's buddies was moving the campfire grill around with the same shovel he used to remove dog crap an hour earlier. But I washed my minds scene away with beer. We couldn't protest too loud, he also brought some of the thickest prime fillets I'd ever seen.

• Like 4

Diamondbacks, Timberrattlers, and prairie rattlesnake's can all be green, and Mohave's are not always green.

Could be a prairie with those markings which is why I commented about the tail but they are up north. Either way I wouldn't want to get hit by one.

Its either a diamondback or a Mojave. Prairies have only been documented near Springerville in AZ. They are thought to be in grasslands in far SE AZ, near the AZ/NM state line, but have never been documented there. Mojaves were my research specimen/project in grad school and you can't always go by the tail markings or color scheme. I've seen plenty of Mohaves that looked just like a diamondback and plenty of diamondbacks that looked like Mojave's. The only way to be 100% on the identification is to look for two large scales touching between the eyes (Mojave) or nine small scales (diamondback), but I don't know too many people willing to get that close! ☺ My first thought was Mojave, though.
  • Like 4

Diamondbacks, Timberrattlers, and prairie rattlesnake's can all be green, and Mohave's are not always green.

Could be a prairie with those markings which is why I commented about the tail but they are up north. Either way I wouldn't want to get hit by one.

Its either a diamondback or a Mojave. Prairies have only been documented near Springerville in AZ. They are thought to be in grasslands in far SE AZ, near the AZ/NM state line, but have never been documented there. Mojaves were my research specimen/project in grad school and you can't always go by the tail markings or color scheme. I've seen plenty of Mohaves that looked just like a diamondback and plenty of diamondbacks that looked like Mojave's. The only way to be 100% on the identification is to look for two large scales touching between the eyes (Mojave) or nine small scales (diamondback), but I don't know too many people willing to get that close! ☺ My first thought was Mojave, though.

I would have never known that about the scales.....but I would never have been willing to get that close..........interesting information thanks....

I would have never known that about the scales.....but I would never have been willing to get that close..........interesting information thanks....

What can I say? I'm always going to be a science geek/nerd first! I've handled, drawn blood from, and collected venom from my share of Mojaves. I've even accidentally (really!) inhaled crystallized neurotoxin (Mojave toxin) during my research days. I don't recommend anyone handle or get that close to a Mojave unless you're absolutely crazy or a highly trained herpetologist (not sure which one of those I'm more of now, but I was both at one point). Be safe!

• Like 1

("What can I say? I'm always going to be a science geek/nerd first! I've handled, drawn blood from, and collected venom from my share of Mojaves. I've even accidentally (really!) inhaled crystallized neurotoxin (Mojave toxin) during my research days. I don't recommend anyone handle or get that close to a Mojave unless you're absolutely crazy or a highly trained herpetologist (not sure which one of those I'm more of now, but I was both at one point). Be safe!")

what did that inhaled toxin do to you ?

("What can I say? I'm always going to be a science geek/nerd first! I've handled, drawn blood from, and collected venom from my share of Mojaves. I've even accidentally (really!) inhaled crystallized neurotoxin (Mojave toxin) during my research days. I don't recommend anyone handle or get that close to a Mojave unless you're absolutely crazy or a highly trained herpetologist (not sure which one of those I'm more of now, but I was both at one point). Be safe!")

what did that inhaled toxin do to you ?

I lost feeling in my nose for three hours that day and it was tingly like when you're leg falls asleep. I had recurring outbreaks of that feeling off and on for almost 10 years! I know enough about venom to know I don't want it in my body more than that and that was too much!