AZ Archer

Unit 27

First time posting and I'm looking for spots to elk hunt in unit 27......just joking, I've actually been scouting quite a bit. I do have a few questions though.

I'll be up the entire hunt and was wondering if there is a campground or somewhere to get a shower in? I have a solar shower but nothing beats the real thing.

Are there any packers anyone would recommend? I'll be solo the majority of the hunt and was just curious in case I get in a pickle.

Last time I went past Hannagan Meadow during the spring archery turkey hunt everything was closed. I assume it was just closed for the winter, correct? My scouting lately has been mostly north of there and I haven't driven down to confirm.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'll be up one last time this weekend, then leaving Thursday the 15th for the entire hunt. Good luck to all, even the rifle hunters who start before me : )

• Like 1

Not sure on a shower but I would think no. If you book a room now (they fill up fast hunting seasons) you can get a room once, twice a week for shower and laundry if needed. If not boil the water before you solar bag it and hunt. Unless you wanna drive to show low or Clifton.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken there are showers at Big Lake. Not to far to go depending on what part of 27 your in.

Brian

I was there last weekend and talked to the alpine village RV park. They offer showers for $6 and said they have towels if you forget yours. They also have a place to do laundry but I forgot the price on that.

It was located on the highway heading towards New Mexico but before you leave town. I believe that's the 180 highway.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your help, huntlines good luck to you and your brother in law. One more question, is there an archery shop closer than the one in Show Low? Thanks again and shoot straight.

Seen this on the map but didn't stop in there to see if it's still open or if they have much as far as archery. It's listed online that they have "archery supplies/ bow shop"

The Tackle Shop

42634 Hwy 191

Alpine, AZ 85920-5300

United States

+1 (928) 339-4338

This is my first time hunting there and it's going to be a huge difference from hunting out of our happy jack cabin. Pretty over whelming with how much elk country there is up there.

Thanks GJ. It's my first time hunting unit 27 also, usually elk hunt 5BS. Put in 27 this year due to the later archery dates. Yeah it's a little different from what I'm used to. Lots of country but it's beautiful, some areas not sure if I would arrow a bull due to fear of getting it out in a timely manner. Good luck to you.

The tackle shop is just a gas station with some very basic supplies. There is no bow shop. The only decent place is in show low so pack accordingly.

Seen this on the map but didn't stop in there to see if it's still open or if they have much as far as archery. It's listed online that they have "archery supplies/ bow shop"

The Tackle Shop

42634 Hwy 191

Alpine, AZ 85920-5300

United States

+1 (928) 339-4338

This is my first time hunting there and it's going to be a huge difference from hunting out of our happy jack cabin. Pretty over whelming with how much elk country there is up there.

27 is my stompin grounds. has been for a LOOONG time. PM me with any questions (other than honey holes) and I'll be glad to help you. the tackle shop doesn't have much at all as far as archery or hunting gear so make sure your bow is ready to go and have a backup if possible. Western Drug in springerville has a pretty good selection of hunting/archery supplies and could probably get you out of a pinch if you needed something.

the tackle shop in Alpine is open year round and is a standard gas station for the most part. sells food, ice, beer, gas. the standards. there are a couple pretty good restaurants in Alpine to recharge your batteries when you need it. Alpine village is your best bet for showers and laundry. i have stayed there many times. nice place, good management. there is even a fish cleaning station there that works very well for cleaning up meat. Alpine has really good cell service, but it's an island for cell service more or less. the best place outside of alpine to make a phonecall is near Josh Ranch. with verizon you always have a couple bars right there. if you are interested in getting an animal hauled out, i would call some of the outfitters up there and ask if they offer a pack service. trophy outfitters, premium hunts, hunt hard outfitters, gastineau outfitters, pack n horns, trophy ridge outfitters all outfit out of Round Valley or Alpine and most if not all of them have a pack string or two.

• Like 1

Just an FYI. Dave May who runs the boat shop at Luna lake has a giant walk in cooler all set up for this elk season to hang elk. His place is right in alpine. He said he will have fliers all hung around alpine. I have not got a copy yet to post so I don't know prices or what is all involved but sure will be nice to have a drop off type place right there in alpine.

He is also a good contact for packers (mules/horses). If in need swing by the boat shop there and he will get you the needed contacts for elk retrieval!