muley

Draw for Archery Deer from now on....

There is nothing wrong with "hobby" hunters. You shouldn't have to breath and crap hunting 24/7 in order to be able to enjoy it. In fact, I think they get more fun out of it a lot of times than the so-called "serious" hunters who put so much pressure on themselves to kill a monster that they often don't enjoy the hunt at all.

Most people start out as "hobby" hunters and progress into more advanced, skilled hunters. You don't come out of the womb slaying 200" muleys on public land.

People always want to weed out hunters until there is something at the ballot box that needs our attention. Then they plead and beg for all the hunters to join us in this great cause so save our great sport. You can't have it both ways.

There is also nothing wrong with killing a spike. It's your tag, do with it as you wish.

I think the draw for archery has good and bad points, but mostly bad.

I didnt mean "hobby hunters" to degrade anyone. I just know people that go buy a bow and shoot it twice and then get an archery tag and head or the woods. Last weekend we saw a guy on a quad with his son on the back. His son who is a teenager had his bow WITH an arrow nocked driving a road. It was in one of the units that would be a draw. Come on thats a joke. I think people get what i meant when I said that. In these units people that draw them will not have to deal with a bunch of the bs that goes on.

There is nothing wrong with "hobby" hunters. You shouldn't have to breath and crap hunting 24/7 in order to be able to enjoy it. In fact, I think they get more fun out of it a lot of times than the so-called "serious" hunters who put so much pressure on themselves to kill a monster that they often don't enjoy the hunt at all.

Most people start out as "hobby" hunters and progress into more advanced, skilled hunters. You don't come out of the womb slaying 200" muleys on public land.

People always want to weed out hunters until there is something at the ballot box that needs our attention. Then they plead and beg for all the hunters to join us in this great cause so save our great sport. You can't have it both ways.

There is also nothing wrong with killing a spike. It's your tag, do with it as you wish.

I think the draw for archery has good and bad points, but mostly bad.

I didnt mean "hobby hunters" to degrade anyone. I just know people that go buy a bow and shoot it twice and then get an archery tag and head or the woods. Last weekend we saw a guy on a quad with his son on the back. His son who is a teenager had his bow WITH an arrow nocked driving a road. It was in one of the units that would be a draw. Come on thats a joke. I think people get what i meant when I said that. In these units people that draw them will not have to deal with a bunch of the bs that goes on.

I understand.

the comments about hobby hunters are real interesting and a real good point. there are problably more folks who go hunting just to go and get out of town than there are folks who are really into it. guys who go when they get a tag and have a real life the rest o' the year. not guys like me who all i can think about is hunting and wanting my old legs and lungs back so i can keep up with my kids. i love to see any guy with his kids in the woods. hunting, fishing, camping, whatever. whether they are real serious or just getting out of town. you ever watch a guy with a 3 or 4 year old kid trying to help him catch a fish? it's a good thing. i have to agree with desert bull when he said a guy doesn't have to eat and drink hunting to be a part of it. and a big part. maybe the biggest. those are the guys that really don't need to be disenchanted. i get aggravated when a novice gets in the way, but so what? he paid his money and he's trying to shoot something. good for him. same with fishing. there are a lot more guys with some zebcos stashed in the garage who take their kids out a few times a year than there are guys with 50k bass boats. and those guys are just as important. my comments about road hunters were an old wound that still hurts. i'm real sure that irresponsible guys wounded to death a big buncha the deer in the white mts. it was horrible. the little bucks weren't getting to grow up because they were getting gutshot from 80 yards and butt stuck and all that stuff. but they were allowed to do it and it was never regulated. i'm all for real live game management. i hate more restrictions, but sometimes that is what true management requires. i never like to hear folks say that there needs to be a marksmanship test or other stuff to keep incompentent folks home. i don't see this draw having a big effect on opportunity, other than it may keep some of the "hobby" guys home and a guy won't be able to move around as much. it will keep a lot of guys from hunting 2 seasons. and it may make more opportunity for the real serious bowhunters. i'm interested to see how many nonrez's apply. we'll all have to wait and see just what kind of limitations they put on it. can a guy still hunt the other open units, if he gets drawn for one of the permit units? stuff like that. i really hope this doesn't have some underlying stuff that seems to be real prevelant in azgfd decisions. i really hope this is just about wildlife management based on good data. i guess time will tell. Lark.

But if I was a gun hunter then I could just blast em right out of the window :o and

not even get out of the vehicle. :P

But the bottom line is there is more and more taken from us each year and all we can do is bellyache about it. :angry:

No, don't think so. That has already been addressed, thus someone had already decided that taking game from a vehicle is indeed unethical. Thus, it is already illegal. It doesn't matter whether it is a bow or a gun. It's apparent quite a few here are not up to snuff on the current regulations. See below. -TONY

A.R.S. 17-301

Times when wildlife may be taken; exceptions;

methods of taking

A. A person may take wildlife, except aquatic wildlife, only

during daylight hours unless otherwise prescribed by

the commission. A person shall not take any species of

wildlife by the aid or with the use of a jacklight, other

artificial light, or illegal device, except as provided by the

commission.

B. A person shall not take wildlife, except aquatic wildlife,

or discharge a firearm or shoot any other device from

a motor vehicle, including an automobile, aircraft, train

or powerboat, or from a sailboat, boat under sail, or a

floating object towed by powerboat or sailboat except

as expressly permitted by the commission. No person

may knowingly discharge any firearm or shoot any other

device upon, from, across or into a road or railway.

Plus, when a shot is fired from a vehicle and your not ready, your ears will ring for days.....my father in-law did that at a mule deer and scared the bejivesas of me, I was looking at the buck in my binos and BOOM!... he has a disabled hunter permit....COPD..<10% lung capacity. I wished he would of hit the deer...

Redman

But if I was a gun hunter then I could just blast em right out of the window :o and

But the bottom line is there is more and more taken from us each year and all we can do is bellyache about it. :angry:

No, don't think so. That has already been addressed, thus someone had already decided that taking game from a vehicle is indeed unethical. Thus, it is already illegal. It doesn't matter whether it is a bow or a gun. It's apparent quite a few here are not up to snuff on the current regulations. See below. -TONY

A.R.S. 17-301

methods of taking

commission.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

What's this Tony???

I am very aware of what the rules and regulations are. Its very apparent that you didn't understand the sarcasim in that statement.

I am getting tired of hearing the stories of irresponsible bow hunters and gun hunters. Lets just keep on digging are own graves and we won't have to worry about the anti's!

Troy

So here is today's story. I am getting ready to send my 10 year old off to school this morning.

His mom had just baked a bunch of cupcakes to take for his teacher because it is his teachers birthday.

We told our son that we couldn't bring the cupcakes before lunch and would have to wait until after lunch to bring the cupcakes.

His questioning mind then asks "Why?". Why do we have to wait until after lunch?

Because it is against the law for the school to serve any kind of treats before lunch.

"Why" again from the 10 year old.

Because the state has decided it is too unhealthy for kids to have treats before lunch.

During this whole converstaion, I am sitting drinking milk and eating leftover cupcakes for breakfast.

In general, we are the victims of our own upbringing, what we do our kids do and they carry on the tradition, whatever that tradition might be.

If we shoot game from the vehicle, our kids will as well. If we practice unethical hunting methods, our kids probably will too.

If I eat cupcakes for breakfast....my kids are probably going to do the same thing.

What does this have to do with archery tags.......I'm not sure.

Jeff :rolleyes:

A.R.S. 17-301

methods of taking

commission.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

What's this Tony???

I am very aware of what the rules and regulations are. Its very apparent that you didn't understand the sarcasim in that statement.

I am getting tired of hearing the stories of irresponsible bow hunters and gun hunters. Lets just keep on digging are own graves and we won't have to worry about the anti's!

Troy

Yeah, I noted the sarcasm in YOUR message and only used it as springboard of sorts. But I wonder just how many guys that witness this stuff in the field are getting plate #s and reporting the yahoos. I bet most of those slinging arrows from the back of a truck don't have a clue that it's illegal to do so? Bet most of them think using a FIREARM in that way is the only thing illegal. -TONY

Bend over and take it guys... its our own fault. The good old days are long gone. Remember back when AZ was a great mule deer hunting state. Over. Then it was a great Elk hunting state. Over. Pronghorn? Coues? Sheep? Over.

and another thing... lion hunting is on its way out and bear hunting wont be far behind.

all we'll have left is javelina... but not archery javelina.