Sign in to follow this  
Billinsd

Precision hunting shot preparation checklist

When you are preparing to take an ethical, long range precision shot at undestirbed game what is your checklist? Say for me, I have a tripod rest for my rifle and bullet drop turrets for my ammunition of choice.

This is something I just thought up. #1 range the animal, #2 decide if it is in range for an ethical shot, if not get closer, if in range #3 calculate the true horizontal distance with an angle cosine tool, #4 have spotter locate animal with spotting scope, #5 check the wind, #6 adjust the windage and elevation turrents to the corrected range and wind, #7 pick a place to sit down where I can lean against a tree or rock, #8 then sit down, #9 adjust my tripod/bipod legs, #10 adjust the rifle, #11 look back up at where the animal was before I sat down(maybe never take my eye off it?), #12 look through the scope, #13 pick a spot, #14 take a deep breath (or a half breath), #15 take the safety off, #16 squeeze the trigger?

What do competition rifle shooters do? Of course there is usually not a lot of time to do a bunch of stuff when shooting at an animal. I am talking about where you have a little bit of time and want to make a precision shot off of a tripod.

Thanks

Bill

Guest 300ultramag.

I have a bi-pod on my rifle and i rarely use it I prefer my pack. (dead rest)

Also u should put a spotter on your list possibly #3.

I agree with it all and a spotter is a must in these distances, like 300UM stated.

Usually in a situation where you're dialing in turrets and everything else to get ready for the shot, the animal is unaware of your presence. My suggestion is to TAKE YOUR TIME, he's not going anywhere.

I use my bipod whenever it's convenient. I prefer to lay prone, rather than sit, throw out the bipod legs in their shortest position, and fill in the rest (i.e. stock, armpit and forearm) with pack, jacket or anything else to make it as solid as possible.

How about #2: See if you can move closer. Just stating the obvious, not judging.

Love,

Bob

Thanks guys, what is a spotter, someone that is spotting the shot?

Bobbyo, yep I agree with you. To me that goes without saying. I generally bowhunt, so I know about getting close. I could have also stated that the setup I am talking about could be for a medium shot or even a close shot, where the game is undisturbed and I have the time to take a precision shot. Of course the closer the game the more chance of being discovered and I would have to move faster.

I cannot hit a thing with a rifle off hand. I can shoot really well if I have a steady rest and take my time. I wanted mostly to find out what people do to make themselves as rock steady as possible when shooting in a hunting position.

I'd like to learn how people set up to shoot off of a bipod or tripod when hunting.

I modified my original post.

Thanks all

Bill

Bill,

I didn't want to come off like the ethics police it is just in the heat of the moment I often lose all common sense and start worrying about bullet drop and wind, elevation change ect instead of assessing the big picture. "gee I can ease down to that next ridge over there and cut off 150 yards. Which could solve alot of those bullet drop dilemas running around in the head. I think a check list is a great idea. I am still amazed at my reaction after spending days glassing for a nice buck at how surprised I am when I actually see one. "Oh My God! There is a deer over there!" Brain turns to jello. Yes, a checklist attached to the gun is a good idea.

Bob

It all sounds good, I would only add make sure you have a solid rest for the butt of the rifle as well. It is crucial on long range shots to have both front and rear rests like a tripod or shooting sticks/bi-pod. The last deer I shot I had the front of my rifle in a v shaped notch on top of a boulder and had to stick my rangefinder

under the butt of the rifle so I could line up the buck in the scope just right. It was as solid as a gun vice and the shot was perfect. Sometimes you have to improvise on the spot but you should always take your time and make sure your setup is solid.

One thing I'll add. I get my rest then dry fire the rifle to make sure the crosshairs don't move after the trigger breaks. If it does I rearraign my rest until it doesn't.

Mark

No Bill, it doesn't seem to spook the animal. The last one I shot at long range (450 yards) I dry fired several times before I was satified with my position and shot. If I need to shoot at long range I take my time and do it right. I learned long ago not to rush. Hunting prairie dogs during the off season and shooting rocks helps too. Taking a GPS or compass reading after helps when you need to find the animal especially if you're alone.

Mark

I am still amazed at my reaction after spending days glassing for a nice buck at how surprised I am when I actually see one. "Oh My God! There is a deer over there!" Brain turns to jello.

LOL Bobbyo! That is too funny (and I am sure true for many hunters!)!

Some very good ideas in this thread. I like the dry firing idea. I haven't done that in a hunting situation, but I sure can see how it would be helpful.

Amanda

this is what i do :

Range him shoot, shoot, shoot Reload ( my short mag only holds three) shoot shoot shoot, reload shoot shoot shoot reload shoot shoot shoot!! woohoo! i got him!!!

(the sad thing is this is only a SLIGHT exageration)

I think that the "ethical" should be changed to "within my tried and practiced capabilities". The wind is a big variable along with heat waves. In my opinion this emphasis on long shots and not stalking skills is not hunting but, shooting. I would guess that most shooters are not properly prepared to shoot at some of the distances that I have seen talked about.

Thom, you're right. The ones I talk to or witness shooting at long range usually have the most technology and the least skill. I had one guy I hunted with last year miss an elk at 325 yards. The whole elk. Nine times. I finally stopped him from shooting anymore or it may have been 19 times. The wind is a real problem as it may blow left, right,up and down before the bullet reaches the target. The last three long shots on big game I have taken (over 400 yards) I waited for the wind to be calm before the shot. Mirage can be beat somewhat by getting into an elevated position because it is usually at ground level. Get into a shooting game like Silhouettes during the off season and practice. Playing with the smart kids pays off in real results.

Mark

All I can say is the only sure way to know what the ballistics are for your rifle and load is to pattern them yourself. I spend the time to do this and I just last Friday shot a 3" group at 600 yards with my 300WinMag. Tickled the crap out of me since I have been trying to accomplish this for a long time. I have a Ballistic software program but it is only halfway correct so I have been shooting and adjusting for level. I am ready to go huntin. ;)

I won't even attempt a shot at long range if there is any wind because my experience is the wind is a variable which is a crap shoot at best.