Sign in to follow this  
WampusCat

Proof Research barrels

Lately, I have become very interested in using a Proof carbon barrel for a build in the coming months. All over the internet I can find guys singing the praises of these barrels and how amazing they are. Unfortunately it is pretty obvious that most of these guys have been sponsored by Proof or at least given barrels/rifles (same as sponsored).

My trusted smith has mixed feelings about them. I have talked to two other smiths recently who have had less than desirable results with these barrels. One even refused to put another one in his lathe.

Obvious downside is the price. If it does what they say (lightweight/remove heat with proprietary resin) and still shoots bugholes then I'd be willing to save a bit longer to achieve the specific results I'm after for this rifle.

Would love to hear from members on here if you have had any experience, good or bad, with a Proof carbon barrel.

I was going to use one on a 28 nosler I am having Craig's Custom Rifles build for me. We are building a light long range gun and a carbon wrapped barrel was what I wanted. Proof research was having a sale and I was ready to buy. We wanted a 26" Sendero Light with 1-9 twist. Well, they didn't have one but was willing to back order the barrel at the sale price. I wanted one "now" so I made some calls. I found one in Georgia but got confused while talking to the gun builder on what twist I wanted. In the couple hours it took to figure out exactly what I wanted, I figured out the that the difference between a fluted brux 26" barrel (3lbs 2oz) for $450 and a 26" proof research barrel (3lbs .48 oz) for $900 was a 1.5oz. Now, these are not exact numbers, but you get the idea. I was already losing a lot of weight in other areas of the build so I decided on the fluted brux.

Not exactly the info you where looking for, but those are my 2 cents. Craig's had no problem using the Proof research barrel for the build but I decided the money was better spent in other areas of the build.

Brent

• Like 2

Thanks Brent, very similar to my thoughts the last couple months. I don't do flutes but the numbers are pretty similar to what I've been looking at. Thanks for your input.

Edit - It has been difficult to find real numbers about the finished weights of these barrels. Just a lot of talk about stronger/stiffer when compared to equal weight steel.

Brent Jacob at Western Precision rifles uses Proof barrels and speaks pretty highly of them. He's probably one of the best gun builders around right now. maybe give him a call?

• Like 2

I own two of them and my next one will be a Proof also.

Give a little info to help. Don't be a barrel tease.

Chamberings?

Action it is on and other rifle info?

Length?

Twist rate?

Contour?

Rounds down the barrel?

What bullets and speeds are you shooting?

How do they shoot?

What ranges have you shot them to?

• Like 1

I own two of them and my next one will be a Proof also.

Give a little info to help. Don't be a barrel tease.Chamberings?Action it is on and other rifle info?Length?Twist rate?Contour?Rounds down the barrel?What bullets and speeds are you shooting?How do they shoot?What ranges have you shot them to?
Dang, you are high maintenance

😀

• Like 1

My first Proof barrel is on the "Elk Hammer" chambered in .338 RUM. It was built on a Remington Sendero action by Chris Horn. It is a 26" barrel plus the Vais muzzle brake. I do not have an actual weight for you but this rifle is significantly lighter than my 6.5x284 with a medium contour 26", steel Apex barrel.

post-348-0-11027900-1475196734_thumb.jpg

post-348-0-41510800-1475196758_thumb.jpg

We were getting 2750 fps with 94 grains of Reloader 33 and a 300 grain Berger bullet. Recently switched over to 93 grains of H-1000 and are getting 2850 fps with the 300 grain Berger. 200 rounds through the gun so far and we are hitting 10" steel at 1000 yards.

post-348-0-30421400-1475196803.jpg

My next rifle will be built by Western Precision as soon as I can decide on a chambering in .284 caliber. It will be on a Stiller Predator action with a 26" Proof barrel.

post-348-0-29485200-1475197049_thumb.jpg

post-348-0-21458000-1475197086.jpg

• Like 7

28 Nosler over 7 STW...similar ballistics in a shorter non-belted case. Either will be overbore if you care about that. 280 AI is a great performer with a lot less powder.