Sign in to follow this  
YoungHuntr

Tripod and head suggestions

Hello all,

In preparation for my unit 32 Coues hunt first week of November, I want to be sure I have a good tripod and head to put my 15x56 vultures on. I'm not new to hunting, but this is the first year I can afford a decent glassing setup to help me find that elusive grey ghost. I know this topic has been posted about before, and ive looked at those closely, but available tripods and heads are always changing.

So, my question is this. I have a budget somewhere around $300 for the tripod, I'd like to stay under $150 for the head (those Outdoorsman's heads look sweet, maybe next year, just can't justify $300 for one right now). I don't anticipate doing a lot of standing while glassing, but if the tripod in question has the height to do it that's an added bonus (I'm 6'0"). I would like something that is fairly lightweight, and very steady. What do you all recommend?

I'm certainly considering the promaster sold here, also the Slik 634 CF. As far as heads go, it seems like most are pushing 2 lbs and I'd like something lighter, that is still smooth and sturdy. Too much to ask in my price range? As far as heads go, the Manfrotto 700rc2 looks promising.

Thoughts on these and other products?

I use the Manfrotto 190x with a Manfrotto fluid pan head and I'm really happy. It's a little on the heavy side but IMO I really don't care for a very light tripod with the 15x glass.

Slik 330 with 707e pan head. All in $105 on eBay and you won't be disappointed I promise. Used one for many year until I could afford the outdoorsmans panhead. Still use the 330 legs. Don't spend $300 on a tripod, IMO. I just sold my last outdoorsmans tripod about 6 months ago. Save the $ and upgrade your glass. I do use the outdoorsmans tripod adapter, best in the business.

• Like 1

The manfrotto 700rc2 that you are looking at is a very good head. I've been using one for 10+ years. It would be a great head for any of the tripods you are looking at.

I use a manfrotto 290 carbon with the 700rc2 head. The tripod is a little bulky (only 2 extensions, but that makes it sturdy) and heavy if you're backpacking a lot, but I don't mind packing it 6 or 7 miles and it is very solid even if I need to stand up to glass. And I do find when I'm glassing all day that it is nice to stand up and glass every now and then. It's also nice to be able to pull off a road for a while and stand up to glass rather than trying to find a spot in the rocks to sit. I don't mind packing an extra pound or two if it means I can glass more effectively.

Also the rc2 head is nice, and it's only about a pound.

I have a promaster which I bought new for $120 on ebay. And a outdoorsmans pan head. $225 on craigslist. Great setup.

I have a Manfrotto 290 with the outdoorsmans pistol grip with panner and it works great very stable tripod not very light but is a compromise with stability.

I have two setups. One for me and another for a hunting partner (usually my wife or son). The first is an Outdoorsman tall tripod with the Manfrotto 700 rc2 head. The second in the Slik 723CF with a Vanguard PH-113V head. I love both setups and switch between them a lot.

The Outdoorsmans tripod is awesome. I love it, but at a price tag of about $600 (with the center post extension) it would not be my top choice and is definitely outside the budget you suggested. I picked it up for a smoking price at an auction. Were it not for that deal I highly doubt I would have it. The Manfrotto 700rc2 is a great head in your price range and I highly recommend it.

The Slik CF series of tripods are great and really hard to beat for the price. This would be my go to in the "best bang for your buck category". I also prefer the twist legs type. I think I paid around $200 for mine. I had originally planned to get another Manfrotto 700rc2 for it when I came across the Vanguard PH-113V. I was looking for something with a little higher weight capacity for when my son mounts my heavy Sendero rifle using a Triclawps setup. The Vanguard lists a weight capacity of about double what the Manfrotto head does and weighs a couple ounces less. I have used Vanguard products in the past and have always been very impressed and happy with them, so about a month ago I ordered one from Amazon to try.

I can confirm that the Vangaurd does feel a bit more stable. There is a bit of wiggle in the Manfrotto head when the horizontal screw is loosened that I don't get in the Vanguard. I also prefer the larger Vanguard base plates. I have only been using it and comparing the two for about a month now, but so far I would have to give the slight edge to the Vanguard head over the Manfrotto. That said, I like them both a lot and will continue to use both.

Another good choice for someone looking to get both tripod and head for under $200, would be the Vanguard Alta+ 264 AO. Not as good as the previously mentioned combos, but great for the price.

Rossi I have had that same issue with my manfrotto head. Pop off the small plastic cover piece and tighten down that allen screw. Makes it nice and snug.

• Like 2