Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Kuiu Icon Pro vs. Outdoorsman Optics Pack

I'm always trying out new gear to find out what I like best. Recently I've been eyeing the Outdoorsman Optics pack. Right now I run a Kuiu Icon Pro pack with the 1850 pack and I really like it. I'm trying to see if the outdoorsman pack would be a good fit for me and the way I hunt.

I don't backpack hunt. I set up camp and take out a pack with me with everything I need to stay out all day. Here is what I usually have on me in my day pack...

Kuiu 1850 Icon Pro Pack:

3L camelbak bladder

15x binos

tripod

Food & snacks

Micro stove w/ small fuel can & lighter

knife w/extra blades

flashlight/headlamp

First aid kit

Extra ammo

GPS

Light Jacket

TP

Extra mags for side arm

10x Binos & Range finder in Bino Harness

(I know I'm missing something!)

The 1850 does good with holding all the stuff I need for the day, but I've heard nothing but good things about the optics pack and wanted to see how the two compare? I know empty weight of both are pretty big difference. Any members here have both that they could give me their pros/cons on both?

Any input is appreciated...

Optics pack is set up to hold tripod on one side and a spotting scope on the other w your rifle securing on the back middle which is great for balance. I notice you didn't have a spotter on your list so it's probably overkill for your set up. With that being said, I love mine and my buds are running them as well and they also love them. They haul and distribute weight very well. You could add a rifle, spotter and a deboned Coues to your list and the pack could carry it all if you can.....

Mine has held up to a lot of abuse and meat hauling over the last 4 yrs.

• Like 1

Only thing I DON'T like about the outdoorsmans, the rifle sticks out a foot over my head. I'm over 6' tall as it is, so having the barrel stick up an extra foot is a pain in the sack.

• Like 2

I might be tempted to add the 3200 bag, load sling and some straps, (on sale for 30% off the next few days) to your Kuiu frame. I like the Kifaru Gun Bearer too.

• Like 1

I have the 1850 and I love it but I'm looking to upgrade to the 3200.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input everyone. I used to run a 2200 badlands but went down to a 1850. Like others above have mentioned, I believe a 3200 bag may be the perfect one, but the 1850 is just simple for everyday use.

Optics pack is set up to hold tripod on one side and a spotting scope on the other w your rifle securing on the back middle which is great for balance. I notice you didn't have a spotter on your list so it's probably overkill for your set up. With that being said, I love mine and my buds are running them as well and they also love them. They haul and distribute weight very well. You could add a rifle, spotter and a deboned Coues to your list and the pack could carry it all if you can.....

Mine has held up to a lot of abuse and meat hauling over the last 4 yrs.

Yeah no more spotter for me. Just some 15x and my 10x in my harness.

I've heard some people mention flex on the outdoorsman frame. Anybody have any problems with it?

No experience with the Icon, but I absolutely love my Outdoors-man. I went from the Badlands 2200 to the Outdoors-man a few years ago. I don't usually carry a spotting scope, so I put my glassing stool down that side and my tripod down the other side. You can get set up to glass pretty quick.

Casey, if you're like me, most hunts you don't have to worry about carrying a rifle haha. On the rare occasion that I do, I actually prefer to carry the rifle over the corner of the pack frame the way Steve Rinella does.

My two cents for what its worth.

• Like 2

I've heard some people mention flex on the outdoorsman frame. Anybody have any problems with it?

I haven't heard of it, but I don't you're carrying enough weight around to worry about it.

I too thought about the outdoorsmans but I like my kuiu too much to get one, everything I'm doing right now Is evolved around weight savings, big difference between those packs.

• Like 1