bigorange

Crossbow permit info

Anyone have any specific info or experience with crossbow permits you could share? Having shoulder issues with a "no more shooting" order until resolved. Currently doing PT and expecting a few months before I can shoot again. Hopefully no surgery, but wondering if that would fly for a crossbow permit for January archery deer and javelina HAM hunt.

• Like 1

I believe you take your Doctors more to G&F and they issue you a archery handicap permit. You carry that with you and you may use a crossbow for any archery hunts you have tags for.

My buddy CactusJack can confirm as he has one.

My dad got one recently (full shoulder replacement). G&F website has a document you print off and take to your doctor or chiropractor to fill out. Take the completed form to G&F office and they'll cut you a crossbow permit right there. Pretty easy process

• Like 1

My buddy had major shoulder surgery get the form from game and fish have the doctor fill out the form.Return to game and fish. He has a temporary permit until march next year.

What greyghost said.

Also it must be permanent injury not a broken arm that's gonna heal in 3 months that's what point guard is for. ;) **I'm unaware of any temporary permits**

Take form to doc and like in my case doc said "anything to get you to stop jackin yourself up and having more surgeries" :]

They give you a permit and a maybe 8x8 card for dash so when people report you as violating law g&f sees card and knows all is well.

Crank cocking devices are huge aid cuz going from a 60 or 70lb bow to a 175lb is not really a help ya know.. Yes having it cocked and ready to roll is but getting there could injury someone worse if no help of person or crank aid

You could look into the draw loc which can attach to your current bow and kind of converts your bow into a crossbow. You still need the crossbow permit to use it. I got one for my kids.

Thanks for all the info. I'll see what my doc says at my next follow-up. And I didn't think about it but checked regs and crossbow is good without permit for HAM tag I just drew.