AZbowhntr

Resizing brass from .284 to .308 safe?

As the title says I am wondering if this is safe. I have a custom caliber rifle that has a 2 year wait for brass. But when I called them they told me I could buy the .284 brass and resize it to .308. The brass is identical with the exception of being necked down. I am curious if this is safe and what it will do to the life of the brass. Thanks for any insight.

I have a Lazzeroni Patriot which is a short mag .308. They also sell a Tomohawk that is a .284. The brass is identical except the bullet diameter. So I would need to stretch the opening to .308. The neck and everything else would stay the same.

• Like 1

I had to look it up, but I can't find any published case dimensions. I'm not familiar with any of the Lazzeroni cartridges. I know someone on here was talking about a warbird some time ago, maybe they will chime in. Post a link if you have one of case dimensions if you have one.

Also, is it proprietary brass? Has it already been necked down from a parent cartridge? I would assume the powder charges published would produce some serious pressure.

Yes it's safe but will cause the case neck to be slightly thinner and will shorten case life. You will probably want to anneal the cases after resizing.

Generally that should not be a problem but you could always anneal the necks first.

Necked up brass can sometimes form a "donut" of thicker brass at the base of the new neck. This can be created if the brass in the sloped shoulder area of the case is thicker than the brass in the neck as small part of the shoulder ends up at the bottom of the new neck. That can be cured by neck turning or reaming if needed.

I figured that I would lose some life by stretching it. The brass can only be bought from Lazzeroni. It blows my mind that there would be a 2 year wait for brass. I don't know where they get it but that is crazy. Thanks for the comments.

If the only difference is neck diameter why don't you just fire form it using reduced loads? Those 7mm bullets will rattle around going down the bore but won't hurt anything. Use blem. bullets for economy.

forepaw

Another thing to consider (and this is an advanced technique, and I have not tried it) is to use a reduced load of fast burning powder, say, SR4759, and use a wad of tissue paper or dacron fluff seated like the old overpowder wads on shotgun shell reloads.

It sounds crazy but I have read of shooters using a spoonful of cream of wheat over the reduced charge to blow out and fireform the case. The trick is to just get enough pressure to extrude the sidewalls and neck. As difficult as it is to find brass in your caliber, it might be worth trying - depends on how desperate you are to shoot it.

forepaw

• Like 1

I use .243 Win brass for my 6.5 SLR cases (.243 to .264 in once pass with a tapered expander ball). Plus, it reworks the neck and shoulder at the same time. Never had an issue. But I use Winchester or Rem brass due to neck and shoulder thicknesses have no variation in those brands of brass.

I have used .270 Win for .25-06, 25-06 & .270 Win for 6.5-06, etc. Numerous times.

Lance, I ordered 3 boxes of the 284 brass. So I should have them by the end of the week. They use Hornady brass. Don't know how that rates compared to others. I am looking forward to seeing what this rifle will really do.

Are you sure it's Hornady brass? I thought it was Norma or Nosler which is made by Norma. Use a tapered expander plug or you'll buckle the case. Redding and RCBS both make tapered expander. Expand to 308, fireform and then work up your load. Necking up usually ends up with brass being a little shorter. I'd check overall brass length when done. Hornady brass has not been very good of late. Maybe the Lazzeroni stuff will be more consistent.

Like stated earlier... Just watch for a donut forming at the bottom of your case neck after you neck up. Some brands of brass are thicker in the shoulder than the neck, and necking up turns a small portion of the shoulder into the neck.