Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Misfires

My cousin had it happen last year on his elk hunt. Excess oil + cold temps = soft firing pin strike. Ruger M77.

And there is a really easy way to remove the firing pin assembly from an R700 bolt. Shoe lace. Look it up on YouTube.

My brother had that happen to his m77 hunting caribou. At -55° it wouldn't even click.

• Like 1

My cousin had it happen last year on his elk hunt. Excess oil + cold temps = soft firing pin strike. Ruger M77.

And there is a really easy way to remove the firing pin assembly from an R700 bolt. Shoe lace. Look it up on YouTube.

My brother had that happen to his m77 hunting caribou. At -55° it wouldn't even click.

Yeah. But then again, it might have been that his fingers weren't working either!!!

Don't handle misfired cartridges, they may be complete duds or could be cooking off slowly.

I've had a lot of old rimfire factory cartridges misfire and one handgun reload slow cook. Can sure ruin your day.

Don't handle misfired cartridges, they may be complete duds or could be cooking off slowly.

I've had a lot of old rimfire factory cartridges misfire and one handgun reload slow cook. Can sure ruin your day.

Should you immediately drop them into a bucket of water or how would you handle them?

My first encounter with a centerfire misfire was my hunting partner shooting Corelokt at Rio Salado. The range manager was standing right there so I told him we had a round that did not fire. He came over, put the round in his hand, flicked it, and said, "bad bullet." He didn't seem to care and said it happens all the time.

Should you immediately drop them into a bucket of water or how would you handle them?

First, keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction. I would give it a good 10 seconds or so to see if it is cooking. What the right amount of time to wait I have no clue. But I'd eject it and get a safe distance from it. Having a 44 Magnum cook off after about 5 seconds could have been a disaster, glad I had the barrel pointed safely.