Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

Taking out first time hunters

I am taking my 5 and 7 year old out tomorrow for their first real hunt. Hoping to scare up a quail or rabbit (emphasis on rabbit). My two locations are:

1. Mesquite Wash on the way Payson

2. King's Ranch Road, at the eastern edge

Open to other ideas, but looking for rabbits for them to get the idea of shooting at a actual game they can eat. Rabbits early in the AM seem like a good idea. I'd love to know if 1 or 2 are worth going to this year, or perhaps another spot? I am starting out from the 60 and Mesa Dr.

Thanks Guys.

• Like 1

I cant think of the number now, but theres a forest rd that runs out of superior on the south side of town that I used to kill a bunch of rabbits off of. I used to hunt that area a lot for small game when I lived out there. Wasnt uncommon to smack 3 or 4 cottontails in a night with my bow and rubber blunts.

No matter where you go, it'll be a good adventure for the kiddos. Good to get them started young. Have fun and good luck to you guys.

I cant think of the number now, but theres a forest rd that runs out of superior on the south side of town that I used to kill a bunch of rabbits off of. I used to hunt that area a lot for small game when I lived out there. Wasnt uncommon to smack 3 or 4 cottontails in a night with my bow and rubber blunts.

No matter where you go, it'll be a good adventure for the kiddos. Good to get them started young. Have fun and good luck to you guys.

thx. hoping I can get them to catch the fever.

I used to hunt quail all the time off Kings Ranch Rd and always did great on them. Don't remember seeing many rabbits though. You have to go all the way back until you hit the state trust land though. They are slowly building more and more homes back there.

I'll check out the other suggestions another time. I did end up going off of King's Ranch Rd. A couple of quail, and some good hiking in. my son's first shot was with a single shot 20 gauge and he missed the quail and hit (and exploded) a cholla. He thought that was hiliarous- because it was.

• Like 1

Here are some pics from the event. We ended up going to behind Gold Canyon

post-13295-0-91497100-1486243094_thumb.jpg

post-13295-0-38330700-1486243098_thumb.jpg

post-13295-0-02741700-1486243102_thumb.jpg

• Like 4