Sign in to follow this  
trophyseeker

Get Ready

In case anyone hasn't heard it yet, Obama designated two new national monuments in Utah yesterday. With the bill that an AZ congress critter has out there in his attempt to turn much of Northern AZ, including the NORTH KAIBAB into the Grand Canyon National Monument, Obama's legacy might be on its way to a theater near you in the next few days.

From AGFD:
Governor Ducey’s response to recent national monument designations by President Obama
Dec. 29 news release from the Office of Governor Doug Ducey
PHOENIX — In response to President Obama designating two national monuments this week in Utah and Nevada, Governor Doug Ducey issued the following statement requesting that the president respect Arizona by not designating the proposed Grand Canyon Watershed National Monument:
“Western public land agreements have established a legacy of multi-use that have provided a recreational, environmental, conservation and economic balance that has served our state and nation well.
“In the early 1990s Republican Senator John McCain and Democratic Congressman Morris Udall worked appropriately through congressional action to create a massive footprint of designated wilderness in our state. Arizona also already hosts the most national monuments of any state in the nation. Those monuments more than suffice for enough acreage set aside for elevated public lands management. That work is now complete.
“Our state needs no further designations. Designations done by decree have already negatively impacted our state's ability to manage wildlife, held in trust for the people of Arizona and our nation. Proof of this fact is seen in the decline of desert sheep in the Sonoran Desert Monument, where access closures impeded our ability to maintain water catchments to grow these herds. Forest management also suffers in special designation areas, and my fear with the proposed designation is a catastrophic fire that would damage this area for more than a century.
“I have long joined Senators McCain and Flake, the majority of our congressional delegation, more than 20 sportsmen/women organizations, the Arizona Game and Fish Commission, and thousands of Arizona citizens in steadfast opposition to this unneeded and poorly thought-out presidential decree that will permanently damage the recreational, environmental, conservation and economic balance that is so important to our state.
“I request that the president respect the wishes of our state's leadership and the Congress of the United States, which is where the real authority for public lands designations resides. The intent of the Antiquities Act gives the president limited authority to set aside the smallest amount of land possible to protect the artifact; this proposed designation of 1.9 million acres of land would be a clear violation of that intent.
“If designated by the president in his waning hours, Arizona will take every step necessary—legally and legislatively—to stop it. My hope is that the president respects our wishes.”
Note: The Arizona Game and Fish Commission opposes establishment of this unneeded national monument in Arizona. See letter, and also Commission resolution concerning the loss of multiple-use public lands due to special land-use designations.

here agin - if people would just shut up!

with all the publicity of the pro's of having this happen - goofball wouldn't do it cuz he doesn't like AZ

but get the dimwit to go on record he''ll take every necessary steps to stop it is -STUPID --

JUST SHUT THE heck UP DUNCEY

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I don't quite understand what you said above. :( Please explain.

That said, I'm a bit surprised this hasn't got any more attention here. I guess if I had misscored a trophy, it would be six pages long by now. Yet this could have a dire effect on the future hunting on the North Kaibab.

Last night I read another interesting thread on this topic on one of the other popular hunting forums. It mostly concerned the new monument in Utah. Outdoor Writer who often posted here put up an interesting reply on this subject and the proposed Grand Canyon monument. I'll see if he will give me an okay to copy and post it here.

• Like 1

I'm afraid he's saving the best for last. He'll sign it in the eleventh hour. A final middle finger to Arizona.

No doubt the arrogant sob would love to stick it to us on his way out.

To respond to the comment about no one talking about this, what is there to say. There is nothing we can do about it, our representatives are engaged and don't need prompting. So for me, I am just choosing not to stress about what might happen.