Sign in to follow this  
WarrZone

Unit 22 OTC Deer Advice

Hi all,

I've tried my best to find some deer in Unit 22 the past few weekends. And with only a month left, I've come here for some advice if anyone here is feeling generous. Does anyone have suggestions they'd be willing to share? If not I understand. New guys gotta learn the ropes the hard way. But if there are any tips out there I would appreciate it. If you're willing to oblige, PM me so we can keep the conversation off the main forum.

Also, I know in the fly fishing world that's its commonplace to ask any fellow anglers you might see if they'd had any luck. With hunting, it would be a little more obvious if they'd had luck. But is it ok to ask a hunter you come across if they've seen anything/ or had any encounters or is that something you keep to yourself while out in the field? I crossed paths with a few hunters but wasn't sure if asking them that was par for the course or not, don't want to step on any toes.

Thanks and good luck to everyone this year!

22 is full of deer. Pick anywhere from what the game and fish site suggest and glass glass glass. You will find them. I don't think anyone in 22 will go more than a day without glass up deer. The only unit I' ever been in that I glassed all day and not see deer is 37b. And that's more we'll known as a tougher unit.

• Like 2

Thanks Zeka-BE. I've seen a ton of deer sign but only a few deer, all does. Each time I've bumped some does I waited to see if a buck followed and there hasn't been one. I've been doing more hiking then glassing so I might need to change that. I'll take your advice to heart next time I go out.

I've been doing more hiking then glassing

^^^^^^^That's been your problem....

• Like 3

Spot on!!!!!^^^^^^. That's what I do!!! You will see more and be more rested by glassing all day instead hiking. I only still hunt areas with lots of small hills with tons of pockets and ravines, and thick brush and trees. I only still hunt when I have to.

As you've already been told, 22 is a solid unit with plenty of deer. When you're glassing, go slow, don't try to find a whole deer or something big. Pick the view apart, look at rocks, bushes, look at each square foot of ground and all of a sudden a deer will materialize out of no where. I glassed up a doe yesterday at 930 yards using 12x binos on a tripod. The only thing I could see of her was her head and ears sticking up out of bush. When I spotted her I went back over the area around her and found that I'd passed right over another doe that was bedded right out in the open.

Early in the a.m. I glass pretty fast looking for deer that are up and moving and then try to follow them to bed, but after it's been daylight for an hour or so, a lot of them are already laying down and you have to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower with your glassing. See everything on that hill before you move the binos to another spot. And when you do move them, only move them 1/2 way so you still see half of the view you were just looking at. Every time you move the binos make sure you're overlapping the previous view. All it takes is a twitch of an ear for you to spot a deer that had been perfectly motionless for several minutes, or for them to get up & stretch or grab a bite off a bush to chew on.

Persistence, never give up until you are 110% certain you've seen every rock, every clump of grass and every bird/squirrel/whatever on that hillside.

• Like 5

As you've already been told, 22 is a solid unit with plenty of deer. When you're glassing, go slow, don't try to find a whole deer or something big. Pick the view apart, look at rocks, bushes, look at each square foot of ground and all of a sudden a deer will materialize out of no where. I glassed up a doe yesterday at 930 yards using 12x binos on a tripod. The only thing I could see of her was her head and ears sticking up out of bush. When I spotted her I went back over the area around her and found that I'd passed right over another doe that was bedded right out in the open.

Early in the a.m. I glass pretty fast looking for deer that are up and moving and then try to follow them to bed, but after it's been daylight for an hour or so, a lot of them are already laying down and you have to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower with your glassing. See everything on that hill before you move the binos to another spot. And when you do move them, only move them 1/2 way so you still see half of the view you were just looking at. Every time you move the binos make sure you're overlapping the previous view. All it takes is a twitch of an ear for you to spot a deer that had been perfectly motionless for several minutes, or for them to get up & stretch or grab a bite off a bush to chew on.

Persistence, never give up until you are 110% certain you've seen every rock, every clump of grass and every bird/squirrel/whatever on that hillside.

^^^^^What he said!!!!

then wait until 5:00pm when all the deer you missed start moving lol

• Like 4

then wait until 5:00pm when all the deer you missed start moving lol

Too true....

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Sounds like I need to glass, glass, glass. And in that case I'll need some better glassing bino's. The ones I have now are good but they don't have a tripod adapter so picking an area apart is is much harder then with my bino's on a tripod I would think.

The area I was hunting had a ton of fresh scat and tracks but it was a very hilly area with a lot of ravines with brush down in the bottom. Which made getting to a high spot that could see out over a wide expanse next to impossible. I would get to a high point and you could only see maybe 5 - 6 hundred yards in a few directions and then would have to hike to the next ridge to see further. I bumped a few does while hiking but didn't a buck follow unfortunately.

My search for better bino's with tripod capabilities starts now!

There are adapters that will fit your currrent set. There are adapters that use velcro to strap them to a padded platform, some that clamp on a barrel and the most common screw in type. There is no binocular that cannot be mounted to a tripod.

What kind of glass do you have?