Sign in to follow this  
StraightTequilaNight

Lions

AZplumber: No question that lions eat a lot of deer, but everyone who hunts much in Texas or elsewhere where limits are five or more deer a year probably will kill many more deer in his/her lifetime than a lion will in a year. A single lion may take up to 50 deer a year (I suspect it's a lot less than that), but a meat hunter in the Texas Hill country easily can reach that number in just ten years. I don't begrudge lions eating deer. In my humble opinion, a mountain lion is a wonderful game animal and I would rather take one than a dozen deer. -- Bill Quimby

• Like 3

AZplumber: No question that lions eat a lot of deer, but everyone who hunts much in Texas or elsewhere where limits are five or more deer a year probably will kill many more deer in his/her lifetime than a lion will in a year. A single lion may take up to 50 deer a year (I suspect it's a lot less than that), but a meat hunter in the Texas Hill country easily can reach that number in just ten years. I don't begrudge lions eating deer. In my humble opinion, a mountain lion is a wonderful game animal and I would rather take one than a dozen deer. -- Bill Quimby

Very true and why I qualified in my post "Arizona Deer".

AZPlumber: I have no idea how many deer Ive killed in Arizona but it could be somewhere around 50, more or less. (I shot my first mule deer in 1948 and have hunted deer in this state every year (except one) until a couple of years ago, and I usually brought home meat.) It shouldnt matter if an individual lion kills 20 or 50 deer a year. They are worthy game animals, and should be managed sustainably. ==== Bill Quimby

I also heard the "one deer kill per week per lion" quote frequently from many reputable guides and ranchers back in the 1970's. Not saying it is gospel..... but I don't think it is too far fetched. I find it interesting that the mule deer population started its severe decline about the same time the trapping laws were changing. Also, when that timing happened, my outdoor experiences went from viewing only about one lion per year in the 1970's to over 10 lions per year in the 1980's and beyond.