Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Bedding area question

I've been working a herd in a draw this month. I still hunted into the herd and missed 3 different pigs. I know, I know, I'm in therapy now. Anyways I've located their bedding area from their night before (fresh green scat) on the 4 occasions I've checked it. My question is should I slip in there under the cover of darkness and wait until they leave their bed? Anyone ever tried this?

I prefer to spot them first before making a stalk. You may find they have decided to move (sometimes during the night) to a different area.

you can try anything - but most likely be the same as your shoots so far -Missed them

on rare accession you can bump bedded piggys - hard to say if they just hunker down all night in one spot

I never even tried. I just follow them to where they feed and wait for them to calm down and spread out feeding. Then I get out in front of them and let them drift into me. Works like a charm

we've had great luck luck hitting bed areas in middle of the day. Slipping in and basically just standing in one spot and letting them move around until a shot presents.

I've called them out of their bed with the popular javelina call (don't remember the name...J8 or something). They come in fast :wacko:

When I hunted them, I felt an individual javelina herd had an established territory with multiple bedding areas, which they used depending upon weather and what they were eating at certain times of year. Finding a bed with green scat says they are feeding nearby and still using that bed. Now you need to determine what time of day or night they go there. Just remember, if the weather changes, they suddenly may switch to other feeding and bedding areas. They do not seem to change their home range, though. It could be one long canyon, or the heads of several canyons, a certain peak, or whatever, but I would bet a dollar that it's no more 300-400 acres. I found I could go to an area I hunted a lot 20-30 years earlier and find the beds and feeding areas exactly (or very close to) where I had found them earlier. --- Bill Quimby