azyoung

Bear hunting ethics

Bear hunting ethics

Yesterday while hunting bear in unit 7 with my Son we had a great day hiked all over weatherford. We did see a sow with a cub but last night as we worked our way down we ran across a skinned cub/yearling. The carcass could not have weighed 50 lbs it was shot in the stomach, skinned and thrown under a large boulder in an attempt to hide it. None of the meat was removed. I took some pictures and GPS the location – Sad thing is it was about 400 yards from Shultz pass road easy pack out. I know some people don’t like bear meat but shoot a very young bear and leave it to waste is a shame. It did give my son a bad taste for bear hunting. I just hope the SOB that shot that cub can enjoy his little cub rug and remember how that little guy died with a gut shot.

azyoung

Report it!!

Mike

that really sucks...just another case of other people(not hunters) making us look bad...its sickening that this happens way too much

Thanks for reporting it. I just had some discussion this weekend with some non-hunters about why people would hunt bears and they thought people would just shoot them and leave them to rot. I said that was illegal and that most bear hunters wouldn't do that. It's really a sad thing to hear that someone would do that.

Amanda

I can't throw away a worm infested rabbit carcass without feeling guilty about it. Just don't understand how someone could waste a bear or any other game animal for that matter. If you don't like the meat, you can donate it the the HFH. Hopefully they catch the SOB.

I can not tell you how many dudes I have seen with 50-100 pound bears hanging, and these guys were proud!!! It is lame and shooting any bear that is small just effs it up for the guys who would really like to hold out and get a big one. Oh well, guys will keep shooting little bears and no one will do anything about it. With the shear amount of "John Wayne Bear Hunters" in this state now, it wouldn't suprise me to see it all go to draw and then maybe a guy actually would have a chance to do some real hunting and maybe get a big one every few years if he was lucky enough to draw. The way it is now you have to get really lucky to get everything to work out right before a bunch of buffoons whack every little sow or 2 year old male that sticks their head out when the pears or acorns are in and the units shut down.

Bret M.

Bret i hear what you are saying. We were packing out my brothers bull in unit 27 two years ago and heard some shots above us. When we drove the road the next day a guy had a little old bear stretched out in the trees. It was just the skin and you could see it was a small bear. Little did he know in that same canyon was a bigger bear that was fallowing us out of the canyon after some free meat.

i'm still afraid that sometime in pig season i'll be drivin' down the road and there will be poor bullwidgeon hangin' in somebodies camp..........i like how when folks shoot a little bear they always have a big story about how it almost got em. "it was him or me"!!! poor bears. Lark.

I can't believe people are actually proud of shooting a little boo boo.I've passed up on two little guys in the same canyon and this past weekend I'm almost certain I found one of them again but this time it was close to 400 lbs! He came about 800 from where I was and was coming right where I knew he would but it got too dark to shoot. :( Didn't see him the rest of the hunt.

I got a story. The first hunt of the year I was in my blind waiting for a bear to come in. Off in the distance I can hear a dog barking. Not that big of deal right. I just figured someone was hunting with dogs. I come to find out this guy was hunting with dogs and he let his dogs roam free all day long. In the moring hunt the dog got so far ahead of him, he couldn't keep up. All these places I was hiking into I was walking along side this dogs track with no other human tracks with it. I came to the conclusion that this dog scared just about every Bear out of the area. So I headed home because I didn't want to be hunting in vain. I checked my trail photos and there wasn't a single bear picture for two weeks. In the days leading up to the hunt I was getting at least one bear a day. I will be going up again this week hopefully this guy hasn't returned to do more damage. One more thing I drove up Thursday night and caught some guys hunting bears on the day before the hunt. I know this because I asked them what they were doing. They replied ''we are bear hunting'' I would of reported them but since they didn't have any kills it would of just been my word against thiers. All I can say is hunting in AZ is getting more and more frustrating.

I can not tell you how many dudes I have seen with 50-100 pound bears hanging, and these guys were proud!!! It is lame and shooting any bear that is small just effs it up for the guys who would really like to hold out and get a big one. Oh well, guys will keep shooting little bears and no one will do anything about it. With the shear amount of "John Wayne Bear Hunters" in this state now, it wouldn't suprise me to see it all go to draw and then maybe a guy actually would have a chance to do some real hunting and maybe get a big one every few years if he was lucky enough to draw. The way it is now you have to get really lucky to get everything to work out right before a bunch of buffoons whack every little sow or 2 year old male that sticks their head out when the pears or acorns are in and the units shut down.

Bret M.

Bret:

What makes you think that John Wayne Bear Hunter buffoons won't draw tags and continue to whack every little sow or 2-year-old male that sticks its head out? A trophy is in the eye of the beholder, and some of these guys have never seen a bear in the wild.

Bill Quimby

Bret:

What makes you think that John Wayne Bear Hunter buffoons won't draw tags and continue to whack every little sow or 2-year-old male that sticks its head out? A trophy is in the eye of the beholder, and some of these guys have never seen a bear in the wild.

Bill Quimby

I, personally, would take any legal bear I got a shot at, since I haven't put an arrow in one yet. After a couple I might start holding out, but have no plans of doing so this year. I don't figure that makes me a John Wayne anything, it just makes me a rookie who's willing to take what I can get. ;)

Matt S.

I am sure that some people that draw tags will still shoot any bear they see and that is their right, but with a draw you would have a fixed amount of people in the field as well as a fixed season (hopefully) the way it is now, everyone who has 20 dollars and a rifle just goes bear hunting and in most units seasons close after 5 days. It makes it tough if you are looking for an honest old 20-21 inch bear when people are out cracking yearlings and sows that "Charged" them shutting things down. People can shoot what they want and there is nothing we can do about it but the way I see it progressing it will go to draw sooner than later and that might cut down on some of the lame cub and yearling whacking that goes on out there...

Bret M.