Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Hunting with Glocks and non hunting pistols(pics page 2)

Well at least you guys got to see some pigs and get shots off at them! B)

This was the first year I've gone out on the HAM hunt. I took my bow but had my Glock just in case. My brother in-law was hunting with his M&P. Seen so many deer and some nice bucks. But not one pig was seen all weekend! It was so odd not to see one out in a 36 unit. I did find a nice dead head so that was pretty cool. I might be heading out again with my son depending on my schedule. Would love to tag one with my son tagging along with me.

How far away would you guess the coati was? How accurate are the 5.7s? Thought that would be an interesting round to hunt with.

90-100 yards and moving. theyre very accurate, but it was only like the 10th shot ive taken with it, i should have hit him i feel like. i have basically 0 experience with pistols

Definetely gotta get close with a handgun, I think flinching with them gets exaggerated because of the noise! They are fun though, I'll be out with my 1911 next weekend, I was unable to be out this weekend.

Any particular preferences in ammo for your .45? I'll out in 37B this weekend with my 1911. Looking for some recommendations for ammo. Otherwise, I was thinking Speer Gold Dot 230's.

The gold dots are great I'm a XTP fan. I killed this pig ( I'm sure everyone is getting tired of seeing this picture as I posted this probably a dozen or more times but it was fun!) With 185 XTP. This year I've got 200 gr XTP, mainly because I could not find the same load I used for the first one. I like the Remington golden saber as well and the Federal Hydra-Shok or HST is superb as well.

IMG_20140208_085626_201_zpsqwpjxndg.jpg

• Like 2

Definetely gotta get close with a handgun, I think flinching with them gets exaggerated because of the noise! They are fun though, I'll be out with my 1911 next weekend, I was unable to be out this weekend.

Any particular preferences in ammo for your .45? I'll out in 37B this weekend with my 1911. Looking for some recommendations for ammo. Otherwise, I was thinking Speer Gold Dot 230's.

230 gold dots should work great. I've killed a half dozen with Winchester 230 black talons with no issues.

• Like 1

I think most pistol calibers will work fine within reasonable distance. I would love to have a Smith and Wesson R8 357 mag just for hunting. I think pig and coyote calling with that would be fun. Kinda pricey though. Might even do a rifle hunt next year with an open sights AK. Really digging this up close stuff more.

The gold dots are great I'm a XTP fan. I killed this pig ( I'm sure everyone is getting tired of seeing this picture as I posted this probably a dozen or more times but it was fun!) With 185 XTP. This year I've got 200 gr XTP, mainly because I could not find the same load I used for the first one. I like the Remington golden saber as well and the Federal Hydra-Shok or HST is superb as well.

IMG_20140208_085626_201_zpsqwpjxndg.jpg

230 gold dots should work great. I've killed a half dozen with Winchester 230 black talons with no issues.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Well bummer. The first two days we hunted in my buddies honey hole, we noticed the pigs were extremely skittish and quick to completely leave the area. He said this was unusual. It seems someone has been poaching in there. We found three pigs dead, not real recent but last month or so in the wash we were hunting. Just left within feet of each other. Today, we couldn't find pig to save our life except one and he cleared out of the country ASAP. Something tells me,us, that someone or some people are going in there a lot more then we realize and taking game. We have not seen one vehicle in this area any of the days we have hunted. Sucks when this happens

Toughest little animal I've ever shot at. The one blooded up is my buddy's. it took 3 shots from a Glock 10mm and a finishing shot from a 44 mag to kill it. The other one was killed with two shots with from a 10mm. I still can't believe how they take shot and run like they were never touched. Mine never bleed one bit. I have much new respect for an animal I never thought twice about. Sorry for the crappy pics and less then wonderful write up, lol.

post-3797-0-38660500-1487602648_thumb.jpg

post-3797-0-35311700-1487602737_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The one I shot with my 1911 droped it's but and turned broadside on the shot, I shot it again and it fell over. Looked for the rest of the herd, was gone about 3 minutes. Came back and it snapped it's teeth at me, so I shot it again! Shots were from about 6,6 and point blank!

• Like 1

Killed this tom with a 1911 in .45

Shot was about 10-15 yards. Looked like the first one would have done the trick but put in a few quick follow-ups to make sure he didn't come out alive and get into the dogs.

lion4_zps0udsobxk.jpg

• Like 3

Javis are a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

Thats a fact! I hit a coyote this hunt with that same 10mm and he died instantly. Not to sound morbid or weird but I guarantee a large man could not handle being hit the way those pigs got stuck. It was unbelievable how tough they were to get down.