Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Rem 7400 '06

Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a new scope. I hear great things about the Vortex BDC's.

I wanna get out to at least 500. - Anyone have any first hand knowledge with using these scopes and a 30-06?

What kind of groups does it shoot at 100? The 7400's I've been around struggle to stay inside 4" at 100. If you take that out to 500 you're talking a 20" group. Might wanna look into a good bolt action to go with the vortex bdc if you wanna take it that far. The 30-06 end of it will be fine to that distance.

You know it seems to do ok at 300.. but never tried at 500. There's a significant drop I'm sure you're aware of..

I'm not too thrilled with it anyways. It doesn't feed well. But we'll give it a shot- (so to speak) and yeah- maybe something a bit lighter in bolt action is the answer.

You know it seems to do ok at 300.. but never tried at 500. There's a significant drop I'm sure you're aware of..

I'm not too thrilled with it anyways. It doesn't feed well. But we'll give it a shot- (so to speak) and yeah- maybe something a bit lighter in bolt action is the answer.

The drop won't matter. All rifles drop at long range.... a lot... so you have to compensate for that. Yes a 257 weatherby loaded hot will drop significantly less then your 30-06 at 500 yards but you have to adjust for hold over with either one, just a little more on the 06. You could get one of these new ruger bolt guns or a savage for around $300. Both should shoot right around an inch at 100 or better. I bet you could re sell your 7400 for nearly that or more fairly easily as they seem to have a cult following. Maybe it shoots just fine. Get it on a bench and see how it groups at 100 and you'll know if it's worth trying to make it a mid/long range gun.

• Like 1

Years ago I saw one in a .280 Rem that would rival a bolt at 100 with three shots, but those type are few and far between.

Since it is an auto-loader it is harder on the extractor than a bolt gun. When you break the extractor on a 7400 you get to remove the barrel so you can remove the bolt through the front of the action to replace the extractor. I had one in .270 years back and a friend had one in 30-06. I do not feel either one would have made a solid 500 yard rifle.

I have a 742 in 30/06. It's a similar action. It holds just under an inch with the green box Remington.

• Like 1