Sign in to follow this  
wannakillabigbull

Delete

Some good and accurate information can be found on the G&F website under hunting and then choose unit where to hunt .

like most hunts around Flag- the late rifle is very hard to judge where the elk will be .

Weather is key to elk movement that time of yr.

For scouting trips this early - find the highest hills and water sources and work down from there

Not to be a downer but other than going up to learn the actual layout of the unit you're gonna be wasting some time seeing where elk are because one they will be long gone come November and two nothing has antlers worth looking at. Also most guys that know where they are right now won't tell you simply because they don't want people finding their sheds. But not knowing the unit it would be a great idea to get up there as often as possible just to learn the actual layout of the unit.

The late season can be warm and dry, so the elk may still be coming to water. Or it may be wet and snowy and water use is very limited. Plenty of cinder hills to climb up on and glass from.

Let me be more clear since no one seems to be following me. I've never been there so I'm headed up to learn the areas, access points, etc, now. I'll continue to spend all summer doing the same so that when fall comes I know the unit very well. Then immediately preceeding my hunt I will spend even more time locating the elk and where they are at that time. Yes, I'm plenty aware that the elk aren't where they will be in December....... I thought I made it clear enough that I was an experienced elk hunter but perhaps not. Thanks bonecollector for the advice.

AND that's the quickest way to never get help from anyone here. First time poster that hasnt produced anything of use to the site coming for nothing but info then when you make a post that wasn't clear you get upset when people answer you with answers you don't like. Use your experienced elk hunter and figure it out yourself. Good luck out there.
  • Like 3

Wannakillabigbull

Grads getting drawn , I saw this post for 7 W , my girlfriend has same tag . Now there will be 498 tag holders competing against us for a bull . Now if they bring a hunting buddy , it's a 1000 people looking for a good bull . Roads will be slammed with road hunters , every potential glassing spot will be occupied. If it's dry , waterholes will be occupied. Sounds fun ha ! I have never hunted 7 W myself or helped in the unit . Sounds like we both have experience on hunting elk , I know I will be focusing on out smarting other hunters , let them make mistakes. I will out hike them , out glass them and be up in Am before them . My girlfriend and I just need to be in the right place and right time . Elk will be up all night and heading for bedding before sun comes up . Bottom line elk are elk , I'm sure Colorado gets hammered more then Az , utilize what you've learned in Colorado it work here just the same .

C you up there

just as matter of fact - out hikin - out glassin and up extra early - climbin the highest hill - doesn't always mean a big bull

my biggest bull to date 385 - hiked in -glassed up - was killed 200 yrds off I-40 at 10:15

Wannakillabigbull,You're doing it right by being excited for having the tag.I have hunted 7W my whole life having killed my first bull there in 1967,The road from Parks north through Spring Valley all the way to 180 pretty much splits the unit in two.There will be elk on either side,East-West of this road all the way from I-40 to the 180.The elk will be in pockets from now until the season as they don't migrate much as your used to in Colorado.Kendrick,Sitgraves Mtn.Red Hill are areas that you should become familiar with.Take your optics and you will find the elk