Sign in to follow this  
stalkincoues

Best/ most accurate factory .300 WSM bullet?

Hello all, this is my first post to Coues Whitetail. I have frequented this great site and am excited to post finally! I have a Whitettail hunt coming up and have chosen my .300 wsm this year because of it's trajectiry. I do have a .22-250., .223, 243, 7mm mag, and a .270 that would and have made fine deer rifles in the past. Wanted something this year that will reach out there and touch them with a semi heavy wind resistant flat shootin big game bullet. You can't kill a deer too dead and that mount will long outlast the remaining meat in my freezer. Was wondering what the better, most accurate 150 grain bullets are that you have used. I am shooting 165 grain Fusions out of them and aren't grouping all that well at only 200 yards and stopped there.

I am shooting a Browning Stalker A-bolt .300wsm with a 23" barrel. Shooting from a bench and holding steady. Shot them out of my .270 the year before and shot acceptable. I am considering the winchester Supreme ballistic tips. What would you all reccomend? I would like acces to ballistic charts and wind drift. thank you all in advance!

welcome to the site! You may have opened up another can of worms on this post as you will soon find out

Go back to the 270 and good luck

Trial and error bro. Buy 3 or 4 different brands and see what shoots best. Or try reloading, if you're serious about accuracy.

if you reload i'd say the partitions are your best bet,if not i don't know. i could never get factory ammo to shoot very good in my rifles.

Thank you for the reponse so far! I do have a .270, featherlight in a wood stock but has a TON of sentimental value to me and won't use whitetail hunting, I'd hate to damage or deface my beauty. It is typically terrible country that I can and have fallen in and won't risk damaging this one. I have been considering getting a .270wsm for Whitetail. But the .300 wsm is about the flattest big game round so I thought I'd stick with it and see. Overkill? Absolutely! I like flat shooting though. I may experiment with reloads next year but do not have time this year. Just hoping to get some good or fairly decent factory round suggestions to get me through this season then I'll fine tune. I have no choice now but to use factory rounds this year :huh:

The 300 wsm. worked for me. It's a great rifle for coues and I agree with your thinking as long as you can get it to shoot.

. I have no choice now but to use factory rounds this year :huh:

Actually, there are companies who will manufacture reloads for you. They will fit your rifle, and will be accurate.

I have shot the 300 WSM the past 2 years and reloaded just about every bullet and powder there is. I have found the best combo for out of my Tikka featherlight T3 is the IMR 7828 at 72 grains topped off with the Sierra HPBT Match Point 175 gr. It is a nail driver.. If I was to use the manufacture loads I found the Federal Premium 150gr. Nosler Ballistic tip shot awesome also..

I shoot a .300WSM myself and am sold on the Federal ammo loaded with the Barnes 165gr TSX, pricey yes but it really does the job quite nicely.

As mentioned in the 30-06 bullets post, you will get less drop with the 150s, but less wind drift and more energy with the 180s.

You can compare factory ballistics here for Federal ammo:

http://federalammo.com/ballistics/Ammo_Sea...earm=1&s1=1

As usual, Red is all over it. I would recommend the 180's for that caliber as well especially since you mentioned shooting long distances. I shot the Winchester Supremes out of my old Browning 300 win (180 grain) and they shot great, and my old man still uses them and he doesn't miss much. (Or ever.) My longest shot was a one shot kill at 560 yards. Dropped him where he stood. That's about as far as i practiced with that gun. I now shoot a 300 ultra, and shoot custom ammo with 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips (essentially the same bullet) and they shoot great out to 900 yards.

. I have no choice now but to use factory rounds this year :huh:

Actually, there are companies who will manufacture reloads for you. They will fit your rifle, and will be accurate.

That's true, and if you don't reload (like me) this is a great way to go, however i don't think he has the time to send the gun off and have them play with it.

My advice is try the Winchester Supremes with the Nosler Combined technologies bullet (ballistic tips). They shot very well for me and my dad, and performed excellent on game as well, but of course each gun is different and your gun may not like them. But they are definitely worth a try IMO. If you can't find a bullet that works as well as you'd like, you can send the gun off to several companies who will do load work for your rifle, but that will most likely have to be for next year.

Hope that whole schpeal helped...

Thank you for all who took the time to reply. definitely got me thinking and trying to weigh my priorities. Sure lighter is faster and flatter, but heavier has more down range energy, less wind drift, and more likely to kill or push through more if shot placement is bad. I'll definitely try to reload for next year. I bought some Winchester Supreme 150 grn. and shot this evening because that is all Wal-Mart had, shot pretty decent with them. I'll go to Cabelas tomorrow and get and try some Federals too to see which my gun likes better.

I know the bullet is a preference and I have seen some nice heated arguements on calibers. Nothing I care to get into myself. I have read mixed reviews on the Ballistic tips. Not penetrating enough, or doing too much damage. The 150 grain say light thin skinned more for deer and the 180 grain say heavy game and more for like elk or moose. I guess it's just a Ford vs. Chevy thing. Hopefully I'll make the right choice and all will go smooth. Thank you again for opening my mind more and all the input. Good luck on your hunts!

I shoot a model 70 300 WSM and I would to agree with TexasHunter on the Winchester ballistic silver tips 150 gr. That is all I have ever used and at the shooting range I can get some pretty good groups. They are expensive $38 a box, but they work well.