Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

New Bow Setup - Looking for Opinions

Hey all! Just recently purchased a new bow and am on the fence with my go-to arrow selection. Hoping for a couple of opinions on which way to go and why; to help make a decision. I already have the arrows. So no out of pocket either way... Here are the options I'm looking at including fletching, nock, insert, etc. -

1. 510gr @ 295FPS

2. 450gr @ 316FPS

Both are +/- 2 or 3FPS on average. I've only been shooting archery for a little over a year and no opinion is a bad one. To preface: I'm not trying to get a debate going on KE and the whole faster vs. heavier deal. I don't feel like there is a wrong way to go with those 2 options and regardless of game being hunted. I intend to use the same setup for elk, deer, javelina, turkey or whatever else for that matter. Just looking for some opinions from those of you that lurk these forums like me while we're not hunting or scouting.

NEED MORE INFO!!! What Kind of Bow did you get? What did you do with your old bow? Poundage you shoot? What elevations your hunting?.......GPS locations are close enough. What kind of camo you are planning to wear? Does your camo and bow match? What arrows match your paint job on the bow the best? What arrows look cooler when you post groups on Instagram? Do you have a hunting partner? If so can you share pictures of her holding your new bow? Are you shooting fixed or mechanical? If your shooting fixed why aren't you shooting mechanical? Lots more important factors to look at other than arrow weight! Good Luck DirtyTaco!

I'd shoot the heavier ones!

• Like 3

One thing to consider is lighter arrows are harder on a bow. They don't absorb as much of the bow's energy when released.

Both those setups will work just fine. Shoot the one that flies straighter. Spend more time shooting and less time typing and you'll be fine.

Both those numbers are smoking fast. You must be at 30DL and 70+ lbs and an IBO of 340+ to get those kinda numbers.

NEED MORE INFO!!! What Kind of Bow did you get? What did you do with your old bow? Poundage you shoot? What elevations your hunting?.......GPS locations are close enough. What kind of camo you are planning to wear? Does your camo and bow match? What arrows match your paint job on the bow the best? What arrows look cooler when you post groups on Instagram? Do you have a hunting partner? If so can you share pictures of her holding your new bow? Are you shooting fixed or mechanical? If your shooting fixed why aren't you shooting mechanical? Lots more important factors to look at other than arrow weight! Good Luck DirtyTaco!

I'd shoot the heavier ones!

I try to keep it simple and this is what I get.... Lol. Thank you! That was funny as heck.

Both those setups will work just fine. Shoot the one that flies straighter. Spend more time shooting and less time typing and you'll be fine.

Both those numbers are smoking fast. You must be at 30DL and 70+ lbs and an IBO of 340+ to get those kinda numbers.

+1 on this! Neither of them are bad. Whichever shoots the most accurate out of your set up would be my pick. Either one of them are going to be effective with a good broad head.

Thanks! Yes - I'm running at 31.5" and 80 pnds. I don't recall the IBO. It wasn't really my priority when selecting the bow. I've chrono'd 15-20 arrows from each of the examples. I haven't run the heavier set yet, but am pretty confident they'll fly true. And YES - shooting more is always the #1 game pan. Everyone has to rest a little here and there though, right? I live close to Ben Avery and get out at least once a week on a bad week.

I appreciate the feedback!

The heavier arrow will be quieter at the shot and will hit like freight trains. They will also be easier to get fixed blade broadheads to tune. You probably could run a 125 grain head to get your FOC up some depending on your spine. I would imagine your are in the 250-300 spine range pushing that heavy if poundage and arrow weight.

I drew an elk tag this year and am running a 514 grain black eagle deep impact 300 spine. 11% FOC. 125grain head. AAE Max stealth 3 fletch right helical. 285FPS. Out of a 30", 70lb draw Pse Evolve 35.

It is a very accurate, hard hitting and quiet setup.

I started a thread on the elk hunting threads "arrow setup for elk" alot of guys shared their setups. Alot of good info shared on that thread.

The heavier arrow will be quieter at the shot and will hit like freight trains. They will also be easier to get fixed blade broadheads to tune. You probably could run a 125 grain head to get your FOC up some depending on your spine. I would imagine your are in the 250-300 spine range pushing that heavy if poundage and arrow weight.

I drew an elk tag this year and am running a 514 grain black eagle deep impact 300 spine. 11% FOC. 125grain head. AAE Max stealth 3 fletch right helical. 285FPS. Out of a 30", 70lb draw Pse Evolve 35.

It is a very accurate, hard hitting and quiet setup.

I started a thread on the elk hunting threads "arrow setup for elk" alot of guys shared their setups. Alot of good info shared on that thrThe

Good stuff and all really great points! My lighter arrows are 300's and the heavier 250. I had my 300's cut down this afternoon and also swapped for steel inserts to bump up the FOC. I will experiment between the 100 & 125 tips over the next couple of weeks. I'll have to check out your elk thread.

I could go either way. I love the flight of the faster arrows and and love the wind bucking, bone crushing aspects of the heavy. I'll probably end up going the way of this thread in all honesty. Heavy is winning out so far!

It's all just a little good fun while laying low when it comes down to it.

My personal preference would be the "lighter arrow" - which is still plenty heavy for elk. Everyone has their own opinions based on their personal experiences. Two lessons have stuck with me over the years: 1) Faster arrows get their quicker. In the event an animal jumps the string, there is less chance of a non-vital hit with a faster arrow. 2) There isn't always time to range an animal in the field. Things can happen quickly and you have to judge the distance. Faster arrows have less drop in the 10 - 50 yard range, so there is more margin for error if your estimated distance was off. Lighter arrows seem to drop more at longer distances, but I usually find I have time to range in those instances. Lots of other arguments could be made for the heavier arrow, but the two examples above is where I have been schooled.

My personal preference would be the "lighter arrow" - which is still plenty heavy for elk. Everyone has their own opinions based on their personal experiences. Two lessons have stuck with me over the years: 1) Faster arrows get their quicker. In the event an animal jumps the string, there is less chance of a non-vital hit with a faster arrow. 2) There isn't always time to range an animal in the field. Things can happen quickly and you have to judge the distance. Faster arrows have less drop in the 10 - 50 yard range, so there is more margin for error if your estimated distance was off. Lighter arrows seem to drop more at longer distances, but I usually find I have time to range in those instances. Lots of other arguments could be made for the heavier arrow, but the two examples above is where I have been schooled.

The "get there faster" aspect is certainly one that's hard to overlook. I guess when I think of it a little deeper, my question would be - at what point is there a diminishing return on weight, or at what point is there enough weight and going any heavier isn't going to improve the results? I don't think there is ever going to be a "get there too fast" way of thinking. I'm kinda in the realm of trying to figure out where I stop on the weight. It's all about finding that right balance, right? I feel like the answer for me is somewhere between 450-525gr and this thread is helping take another step toward finding that balance. I've trolled the interwebs on this a good deal and figured it was time to start my own conversation. Elk is the largest quarry I'll be chasing in the foreseeable future and I don't think that seeking 600gr arrow is beneficial. Or at least until this happens -

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a25263/scientists-are-close-to-cloning-a-woolly-mammoth/

Again, I appreciate the perspective!

Cannot beat the heavier arrow in the wind!

70 yard shot in 25-35mph gusts a week or so ago

That'll help bump your level of confidence up a notch or two!

The 450 is still decent weight. But since you said it'll be an elk setup that's where the heavier will help you with momentum and penetration. A good and adjustable insert system like gold tip(HIT INSERT) has can help you adjust and play with what your bow likes and where you want that weight on the arrow (FOC). You could still run your faster arrow but add tip weight to achieve maximum FOC. With you 80lb,31.5" draw you can afford the heavier setup. 295fps is still BLAZING FAST. Also quiete. Meaning game is less likely to jump the string.

• Like 1

Both are winners. I used to kill everything with a 381 gr arrow until I started making arrows for each hunt. Shoot one set until you run out, then start shooting the other.

As archers, we all love the complete pass through shots. Certainly makes the animal easier to track. I think taco is on the right track in wanting to find a good balance between weight and speed. I look at the penetration of arrows kind of the same way I do bullets. Anything that exits the animal on the offside is just wasted energy. I guess the ideal set up would be just enough penetration to get the broadhead out the offside???