Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Let's narrow this 6.5 chamber down (help)

I was loading h4831 last weekend in a 7mm-08AI. It was a series of increasing charges to establish maximum velocity. It was amazing how full the cases were, way up into the neck. I expect it is possible some cartridges could not hold a maximum charge of h4831 but with the SC being more compact a maximum charge could fit. I have not fired those rounds yet and expect h4831 is a little slow for that application. However I have learned you do not know till you try.

I bet you will be pleasantly surprised how well it works. I have had very good results in a standard 260 as well as the Improved version with H4831

Well narrowed it down to the 6.5x55 and the 6.5 SLR. I was for sure I wasn't going to use the SLR but I love the shoulder compared to the sweed (i know that shouldn't mean any thing but since Im spending the money I want it to look sweet). Plus the cool factor that no one has an 6.5 SLR. But I am using the long action and I want low recoil, I can load that 6.5x55 low shooting at 2500-2600 fps compared to maxing it out at 2900-3000 fps and have a low recoil and longer barrel life. Lance did you say you don't need to turn the necks on those 6.5 SLR?

If you use Remington or Winchester

243 or .260 brass, no need to neck turn since those brands use the same neck & shoulder material thickness.

If you go Lapua, Hornady, Nosler, or Norma, you would need to neck turn.

Good thing is Winchester and Remington brass is cheap, and you can buy extra and weight sort. Save the out of spec brass for some varmint loads. I have 4 loads for mine. 100 rounds of my 140 HVLD hunting loads at 2950fps, 50 rounds of a 127 LEX @ 3060fps for up on the Kaibab, 50 rounds of 95 VMax @ 3400+ for varmint hunting, and 300 rounds of my lighter target loads pushing a 140 HVLD @ 2850fps.

I've had so many custom rifles. Soooo, sooo many and with most rifle loonies you send them down the road and then loose your butt..

You will lose less of your butt with a rifle that has brass that is available OTC and with a cartridge folks don't have to Google...

Unless you are keeping it forever, and I mean forever, often times less is more. Cartridges are more alike than different....

I've had so many custom rifles. Soooo, sooo many and with most rifle loonies you send them down the road and then loose your butt..

You will lose less of your butt with a rifle that has brass that is available OTC and with a cartridge folks don't have to Google...

Unless you are keeping it forever, and I mean forever, often times less is more. Cartridges are more alike than different....

Once your done shooting it you can always break it down and use the action for another chamber or OTC chamber. But great food for thought you are more likely to resale something that people know about, especially if your in a pinch and you need to get rid of it soon