Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Let's narrow this 6.5 chamber down (help)

The 6.5s I have loaded.

L-R:

6.5 WSM, 6.5 GAP 4S (RSAUM), 6.5-06AI (& 6.5-.270AI), 6.5 SLR, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor

20170612_195123_zpsgv0zfk1x.jpg

• Like 2

The SLR is sounding pretty cool! But I do like the idea of just buying 6.5x55 sweedy brass and ready to go. Is your COAL longer then the creedmoor?

I like the looks and longer neck of that SLR.

If you are looking for reduced recoil, what about a 6 CM or 6mm SLR ?

BC is better with the 6.5 but there are sure a lot of competition winners out there with the 6mm

I like the looks and longer neck of that SLR.

If you are looking for reduced recoil, what about a 6 CM or 6mm SLR ?

The SLR would be an awesome 6mm coyote gun

Not on your list but the 6.5 SAUM (GAP 4S) has taken over as my do everything rifle. 140s busting 3100 with ease but my favorite is a 130 hybrid at 3200 and change with zero pressure signs from a 24" barrel. JLk has a 135 made at the request of the GAP crew and it looks like the perfect pill for this case. Proven barrel life if you don't try to hot road it. I can't verify with my equipment other than case inspection but it's supposed run at relatively low pressures compared to other 6.5s chasing the same fps numbers. Recoil is extremely manageable and excellent factory brass available. Fits in a short action but you'll need a magnum bolt face.

I could go on for days about how happy I am with this chamber. Be worth a look if you are after a serious 6.5 with plenty of mileage in a barrel.

The 6.5 RSAUM (or GAP 4S) will still have shorter barrel life than a .260 Rem/6.5 CM type velocity cartridge. Speed=wear.

That being said, I am keeping my 15# 6.5 SLR as is for high volume shooting, but going to rechamber my 10.5# .260 to a 6.5 SS (Sherman Short Mag) in the fairly near future for a carry weight deer/antelope hunting rifle. I really don't need two 2800-2900fps 6.5mm rifles. But one 2900 & one 3200 fps 6.5 will sure be nice!

• Like 1

The 6.5 RSAUM (or GAP 4S) will still have shorter barrel life than a .260 Rem/6.5 CM type velocity cartridge. Speed=wear.

That may be true if the SAUM is hot rodded and the 260 is ran at factory pressures. You and I both know people trying to squeeze every fps possible out of those 260 size cases are at the limit of pressure and chewing up barrels faster than they need to. Even the 47L guys are leaning on them pretty hard and developing crazy pressures before the capability just runs out well below 3,000 fps.

That SAUM was specifically brought into the light in the last few years because it hits that 3100 fps mark at mediocre pressures without leaning on it. You mentioned speed=wear but left out the pressure and heat that erodes throats and kills barrels. Doesnt need to be debated as it's already been proven. 2013 Sniper Hide Cup was won with a SAUM that ended the comp with 4000ish rounds through it. I have factory brass with 8 reloads and still going strong with tight primer pockets. A good friend has more than 10 reloads on a small batch of the same brass and still going.

It's not the be all, end all but it does exactly what it was developed to do (130-140s @3100-3200fps) and it does it at lower pressures than the smaller cased offerings stuffed full of 4350.

Good luck to the OP choosing a chambering. If you have any specific questions about the 4S I'd be happy to lend my experience with it after owning creeds.

Pretty sure that barrel with 4000ish rounds on it was also nitrided and set back at least once to achieve that round count if I remember correctly. That's quite a bit more money and effort for an everyday practice rifle. Truth be told a guy doesn't need 3100fps and the extra powder and recoil required to get there to shoot long range. Personally, I would still pick the swede for what the OP wants to do. Pressures are low and ballistics are more than sufficient for just about anything with widely available and affordable high quality components.

That may be true if the SAUM is hot rodded and the 260 is ran at factory pressures. You and I both know people trying to squeeze every fps possible out of those 260 size cases are at the limit of pressure and chewing up barrels faster than they need to. Even the 47L guys are leaning on them pretty hard and developing crazy pressures before the capability just runs out well below 3,000 fps.

That SAUM was specifically brought into the light in the last few years because it hits that 3100 fps mark at mediocre pressures without leaning on it. You mentioned speed=wear but left out the pressure and heat that erodes throats and kills barrels. Doesnt need to be debated as it's already been proven. 2013 Sniper Hide Cup was won with a SAUM that ended the comp with 4000ish rounds through it. I have factory brass with 8 reloads and still going strong with tight primer pockets. A good friend has more than 10 reloads on a small batch of the same brass and still going.

It's not the be all, end all but it does exactly what it was developed to do (130-140s @3100-3200fps) and it does it at lower pressures than the smaller cased offerings stuffed full of 4350.

Good luck to the OP choosing a chambering. If you have any specific questions about the 4S I'd be happy to lend my experience with it after owning creeds.

Sounds cool but Stomp442 already built me a sweet 6.5-270 AI pushing a Hornday 143 ELD-X at 3,120 fps with under 1/2 MOA.

post-12761-0-69000300-1497928322_thumb.jpg

post-12761-0-01908800-1497928370_thumb.jpg

I wanted a tikka action so no short action for me. Lances SLR sounds cool and I've been messaging him about how easy it is to make those rounds. But Im not also a extreme die hard as Lance and Im not on the press every weekend (that is not an insult by the way). I think Im leaning over more to the 6.5x55 swede because I can just buy the brass and Im going with another tikka (no short action) I might as well take advantage of the length

Maybe 260 terminator?? I've been talking to Shawn quite a bit about +p throats... possibly 7 mag+p in my future. Just food for thought.

Impressive ballistics out of the 6.5x270ai. Almost identical to my .264, which probably shoots a lot more powder.