Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Tips on Wader purchase

Any tips , dos don't on waders? Figure on Colorado lakes and streams and possible northern az lakes type areas, black river. First time Wader buyer.

Get breathables and pay attention to sizing if you order online, really baggy waders suck. I prefer the stocking neoprene foot to the boot foot.

I have owned everything from cheap Frog Toggs to Simms. Eventually they all leak...if you are gonna fish lakes from a float tube look at construction in the knees/leg seams in particular...that's where they tend to fail if you fish a lot out of a float tube.

• Like 1

Get breathables and pay attention to sizing if you order online, really baggy waders suck. I prefer the stocking neoprene foot to the boot foot.

I have owned everything from cheap Frog Toggs to Simms. Eventually they all leak...if you are gonna fish lakes from a float tube look at construction in the knees/leg seams in particular...that's where they tend to fail if you fish a lot out of a float tube.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

What SiWash said... Simms Guide breathable waders will last you, boot-foot w/the Guide boots...Chest-high's, you can always roll them down to hipper's, Worth the $$$, strong, keep in a cool/dark place/but hung-up...

Don't bust brush with them...

I'm a fan of stockingfoot over booted waders for all day comfort. I own a pair of neoprene for duck hunting and a pair of breathable GORE-TEX waders for fishing.

If it's really cold the neoprene are nice, if it's ambient warm the breathable are a must. You can also layer underneath breathables.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

I'm a fan of stockingfoot over booted waders for all day comfort. I own a pair of neoprene for duck hunting and a pair of breathable GORE-TEX waders for fishing.

If it's really cold the neoprene are nice, if it's ambient warm the breathable are a must. You can also layer underneath breathables.

An area I hunt in the Ad'rack's of NY, normaly snow/ice on the ground, has drained lakes with small islands popping up... Been known to throw on an old pair of neoprene waders and pushing onto those islands and getting Deer/Bear up and running, hopefully toward hunters in the group...(wear them underneath camo's, and if they leak... Hey, it's Deer season!!!)...

Oneshot I used to hunt (back home) the Adirondacks in the 1960's, particularly around Lowville, and Brantingham Lake. Lots of deer but definitely not the fun experiences I have had in Arizona the last 45 years.

Not much to add that Siwash, Oneshot, and Couespursuit haven't already said. I love my Simms breathable Gore-tex waders and my new Simms wading boots. Stockingfoot with good wading boots makes a huge difference in all-day comfort. And always wear a wading belt....always!

Whatever you get, keep the patch kit in the chest pocket. As soon as you take it out, you'll need it.

Wading belt is a snap on belt that restricts water from flooding your waders from the waist down in an emergency. Always wear the wading belt is right, it's like climbing a tree with no safety line.

• Like 1

Wading belt is a snap on belt that restricts water from flooding your waders from the waist down in an emergency. Always wear the wading belt is right, it's like climbing a tree with no safety line.

Sorry for not clarifying or assuming everyone knows what a wading belt is. I've seen too many instances of people slipping and falling, having their waders fill up, and they get carried away, drowning somewhere along there.

• Like 1

Ya being born here in az waders and fly rods just were not around.

I used to bass fish with a fly rod but it was my buddies gear so never knew what was what.

I now have a couple rods and waders on the way. Upgrades to come later I'm sure.

Belt makes sense, never heard of that or the sock style Wader with boots.