kazpilot25

SW Colorado Family Camping Tips

Hey guys, I'm taking the family up to SW (Durango area) CO tomorrow for the week. Has anyone been up there that can give me some recommendations on places to camp (dispersed on a river/creek/lake is preferred). Also looking for good fishing spots (both for myself fly fishing and the young kids lake fishing). Finally, any other activities in the area you might recommend.

I'm heading up with my 2, 4, and 7 year old girls to give an idea of ages for activities.

Thanks guys!

The train to Silverton is fun but might be a little long for a 2 year old.

I took the family up a couple times to the Gunnison river at Almont, then we went down and rented a cabin on Vallecito reservoir,outside of Durango, right on the lake. There are campgrounds around there, I just dont remember where.? A good day trip, is the narrow gauge railroad train ride, from Durango to Silverton and back. Kids love it. The pine river flows into Vallecito, there is also the Animas river by Durango.

Another spot is the Dolores river canyon, over by Dolores. Nice area for camping and fishing, and daytrip up to Telluride for food, shopping, music festivals etc.

I stayed at the Junction Creek campground just outside of town. Great campground, close to Durango and good fishing in Junction Creek. Took a dip in the local hot springs each night before retiring for the evening and slept like a rock.

West Fork of the Dolores River has a couple of campgrounds. Not sure about availability on a holiday weekend. Plenty of stream fishing to be had.

McPhee Reservoir has campgrounds as does Groundhog Reservoir. both are minutes from plenty of streams

yep delores river, vallencito lake and the silverton train are all the spots I would 2nd as well. Sounds like fun, I gotta get down over there as well, its been too long now.

Thanks guys. I'll check out those places. Any good fishing lakes for the kids?

Last time I was in Delores the park in town had some killer small mouth fishing then I've done really well on trout in the west fork.

Vallecito is a pretty big reservoir with fish to catch. It even has Northern Pike. I caught a small one on a trout lure, as well as some Rainbows with the stepdaughter. There is also a marina with boat rentals. Not sure about any smaller lakes. A little north of Durango there is a nice lake. I can't remember the name of it.

I think we're going to head up and try to find a spot in the forest off some of the creeks West of Purgatory. Anybody been up there?

That's upper hermosa basin. Beautiful area that has some trout habitat improvement projects immediately west of Purgatory. There is a quad trail that goes south for quite a distance that has good access to Hermosa Creek, which is full of trout. Not a bad place to be.

I think we're going to head up and try to find a spot in the forest off some of the creeks West of Purgatory. Anybody been up there?

A very pretty 4x4 drive with a little hike and fishing is Bullion King Lake NW of Silverton. That's always my favorite place for a family hike.

If you come in from the 145 just past Rico is a nice campground with the Dolores river running next to it. Behind camp is a road that runs east to purgatory. There is a creek next to the road for a ways.