Uh, thats a big cat, not to mention he's gonna have the feds all over him to see where he's located him :o

Sure it's not an IA in costume made of fake fur trying to sneak across the border as a protected species?

Your friend captured a special cat.

It looks like the picture that has been around for a few years. Captured by the old lion hunter that does track them for the game and fish. If not than your friend is one of the lucky ones her in az to know of a spot they are useing. They are here in AZ we know that for sure. They even have a photo of the last one killed in az on the apachee reservation. It is in the exit doors at bass pro shops in mesa.

I'd tell your friend to let the AZGFD know. COCHRANJ had it right.....you'll probably have the USFW all over you for the location but at the same time it would be great to help them out. As Doug said.....that's a special cat! I know that for the most part all the AZGFD and the USFW have seen is males....and that looks like a female (maybe?)

Ruff,

sorry, but your friends is full of beans.. unless his last name is McCain.

I have met the man who took that pic while I was down there working. He is the head honcho biologist for the Borderlands Jaguar Detection Project.. His name is Emil McCain. He took that pic a few years back in the Babos.. That is a male jag that has the name of Macho B. He's been captured on film over 60 times over the last few years by McCain..

That's McCain's pic..

I'm pretty sure that pic was published in a magazine as well.....I think it was the AZ Wildlife Veiws? I know I've seen it before, I bet Scotty is right. JIM>

That was what i was thinking as well Scottyboy. Now get to work and find some frozen cold illeagles crossing that northern border. Jade.

Here is what the Arizona Wildlife Trophies book shows for Arizona jaguars:

1917 E.J. O'Doherty Helvetia (Santa Rita Mountains)

1924 Jack Funk Cibecue

1926 Fred Ott Nogales

1958 John F. Nutt Nogales

1959 Ed Scarla Santa Cruz County

1961 Arvid Benson "southeast Arizona"

1963 Terry Penrod Big Lake

1964 Russell Culbreth Ft. Apache Reservation

1965 Lawrence Magee Patagonia Mountains

I photographed Larry Magee and his jaguar. It was huge! It also was the last jaguar to be legally taken in this state. He did not have it mounted and instead donated the skin and skull to the University of Arizona. I saw the skull again in about 1985, when a large cat of some kind was killing dogs in northwest Tucson. The skull was brought from a warehouse and compared to the tooth marks on a poodle killed by the mystery cat. The teeth marks matched, but the track found at the site were not a jaguar's. Game and Fish hired Ollie Barney, then the best lion hunter around, who rode the area and found no sign of a large cat. After that, reports of dog killing ended.

Not listed above is a jaguar released from a cage by an outlaw outfitter and killed near Pena Blanca Lake by Jacques Herter, who apparently didn't know his "hunt" was "canned." The Herter family owned the largest mail order sporting goods company in the USA at the time, and he wrote several articles and a book about jaguars before wildlife manager Bob Hernbrode Sr. (father of the present game commissioner) busted the outfitter for illegal bear, lion and jaguar hunts.

After jaguars were protected, two more were killed illegally. One was killed with shotguns by teenagers hunting ducks at a pond near Nogales. The other was caught and killed with hounds by a houndsman hunting mountain lions. I think it was in the Dos Cabeza Mountains.

Bill Quimby

Wow so there was one more killed after the apachee reservation one i thought it was the last. Yes that info is very good bill.

"I am always amazed at your vast knowledge of hunting history in AZ."

Thanks, but it was my job to know such things. I spent more than 30 years reporting on Arizona outdoor subjects, and was priveledged to have known most of the genre's newsmakers during those three decades.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~wildlife/news/modules.php.html

I think I have seen several more photos, the ones that were on azgfd are not where they used to be.

Just trying to find the photos I came up with several interesting articles on how to re-establish them, including northern AZ.