Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

adjusting shooter app drops

Use whatever one will let you use a G7 drag profile. The G7 will give much better results at long range over the G1. Also remember when using Hornady bullets to use the average G7 value over just the high velocity one. They have a PDF you can download on their site that has all the BC values and at what velocity band they are applied to.

Use whatever one will let you use a G7 drag profile. The G7 will give much better results at long range over the G1. Also remember when using Hornady bullets to use the average G7 value over just the high velocity one. They have a PDF you can download on their site that has all the BC values and at what velocity band they are applied to.

I did not know this. Ill give this a try

Nice

i know this is older but it sounds like you are trying to "True drop" i prefer the strelok app for this, but you have to adjust your velocity in the app to match where you bullet impacts. if the chrono say for instance 2750 fps and to hold or dial 10 mils to hit 1000 yards, but it actually takes 10.6 mils to hit you would adjust the velocity up or down until is says 10.6 at 1000 yards. then you will be trued to that distance. Before this make sure everything is entered correctly in the app. most importantly the sight height and zero range has to be exact to see the best results.

Sounds like you got it sorted out but there are other considerations.

Chronos can be off as much as 5% and the cheaper ones can be off even more. Been there, done that.

Scope height above bore in the app must be within a 10th of an inch.

And of course one must strive to nail down the actual BC, not the old inflated BC's that still float around the internet. Fortunately Hornady has their new Mach BC's which should be very close!

All this is dependent on if your scope is tracking perfectly, actually most scopes are slightly off 1-2%.

Atmospherics, especially the station pressure, affects drop quite a bit at the longer distances. So does wind direction, the effect is aerodynamic jump.

Then there's ammo temp which can skew results. Ball powders are the worst temp sensitive powders and that's what many factory loads use. Best to stick with Hodgdon Extreme powders or the Induron line of IMR if reloading.

It's always nice if you're zero is perfect, a click off at whatever your sight in distance is will be a click off farther out. I try to make sure my zero is correct by shooting 5 or more shots, well unless 3 are in the same hole.