Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Google Earth to Base Camp

Some of you may have seen my post earlier this year that I had lost and found (a week later) my Gamin Rino on a late coues rifle hunt last year and I was looking for ways to save my waypoints thinking that my Garmin was ruined from being out in the storm for awhile. You guys directed me to download the Garmin Base Camp program and I was able to upload and save my waypoints.

Original post

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/70954-downloading-waypoints-garmin-rino/?fromsearch=1

I usually spend a lot of time on my desktop looking at google earth and I have a pretty long list of Google Earth "My Places" saved of areas I would like to take a look at but I have never done it because they don't sync to my phone and I haven't taken the time to write down each spots coordinates and transfer them manually to my GPS. I was playing with Google Earth last night and figured out how to transfer "My Places" to my Garmin Base Camp but I haven't tried to load them to my GPS yet.

My question is, has anyone done this? Did you have any issues transferring Google Earth spots from your base camp to your GPS and how accurate were they once you got into the field? I plan to upload them to my GPS tonight and get out this weekend to see if it works out and wanted to see if anyone else has tried it out already?

You can also download the google maps including "my places" for "offline" use and just use your phones GPS.

Using this method you can get accurate way points and tracks from goggle earth to your Garmin ...

That's the video I used and it sounds like its been accurate for you so that's good to know.

I want to do the opposite......GPS to Google Earth

I've only ever been able to do this manually...plugging in the coordinates in google earth. Haven't had to do very many though. It would be tedious.

I've used Google Earth a long time.. I have pins everywhere.

But I ran into your problem. I use GaiaGPS (Web and App) and Avenza Maps. What I do is just cross reference a few of the spots from GE into GaiaGPS on the website.. it automatically transfers to the app. Im using Gaia more and more- I might peruse around a bit on GE, but I'll hop on the other monitor and mark the pin on the GaiaGPS website.

With that being said.. maybe you should look into the web/app handshake. I have to say it works out nicely.

Save your waypoints, tracks, etc. as a .gdb file (if your GPS is a Garmin) and drag it right into Google Earth.

It is really easy to transfer form earth to garmin via the aforementioned .gdb file and also from garmin to Earth. I do them both all the time. It is then a snap to go from basecamp to your unit.

Save your waypoints, tracks, etc. as a .gdb file (if your GPS is a Garmin) and drag it right into Google Earth.

I will have to do that. Yes I have a Garmin. The other thing I need to check is I like to use my GPS set on UTM to better use with my map. Wish I could change Google Earth to UTM rather than the Lat/Long they use.