CouesPursuit

Seeking advice on western Colorado lake fishing for Kokanee

I will be traveling through western Colorado in early October with my wife, dog, and 16' aluminum boat.

Fly, spin, scenery, breweries, cool towns nearby -

Could anyone please recommend some good lakes to hit on the way that could be productive that time of year?

Thanks!

Depending on timing, you can hit McPhee Reservoir for smallies and the Kokanee run. It's a blast to hit the morning top water bite on smallies and then hit the Dolores river for some quick salmon spawn action.

• Like 1

Don't overlook Blue Mesa or Ridgeway, two of my favorites. Lake San Cristobal, Taylor Park, and Ruedi have always been amazing trips for me as well.

• Like 1

Also, October/November is when Roaring Judy fish hatchery, just outside of Gunnison, processes the Kokanee and you can get the leftovers. All you need is a one day fishing license and room for several potato sacks full of freshly milked salmon. I did once when I lived nearby, and had over 400 salmon to process.

Groundhog reservoir in sw Colorado can be good. Inspection is required for zebra mussels and costs $20. No motor over 15 or 20 I think and no live wells.

Thank you guys for the replies, all have been evaluated and greatly appreciated! When I started this post I was figuring I wanted to get into some good CO trout water, but looking at the methods of fishing for Kokanee, and having not caught them before, I would like to dedicate a couple of the days specifically to them with smallies or walleye as backup. I am well experienced in long lining for crappie, and my wife really enjoys trolling (and drinking). I am sure the effectiveness of long lining will depend on the depth the fish are holding at, but it could be a tactic I try if they are < 15'.

Particularly at McPhee and Blue Mesa Reservoirs if applicable, as they end up being the most suitable stopping points on the trip from AZ to WY, can anyone give any tips specific to catching Kokanee?

Thanks for any other insight.

It is not trolling or 'fishing' but Snagging of Kokanee starts in September. Seems like last year snagging at Mc Phee/Dolores peaked in middle October.

Not sure there is even a limit, just lots of fish to smoke!

With water levels up this year, it should be a great run.

#6 bait hook with a 6" piece of red yarn on it, just like you would a worm, fished through the piles of salmon stacked up in the river. Did that every fall on the Gunnison right in town if I wasn't out hunting.

• Like 1

Don't know where you will be but lemon will have salmon running in October. So will Villacito To troll for them in the summer I use lead core line with a 6 foot 8lb leader and a snubber with a white, pink or orange spoon. I have also caught them vertical jigging rapala ice jigs. Check the rivers you can snag in if you plan on that. Get snaggin trebbles at walmart and paint them pink or orange. Makes it alot easier. June and July are the best for trolling imho.

• Like 1