Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Learning to use a Diaphragm Call

I've been working on my elk calling over the past several seasons and have gotten pretty proficient with external calls. I practice a lot at home, but primarily while commuting to and from work (I get funny looks sometimes at stop lights). I've also taken the opportunity to head up to elk country in early October (after early bull hunts are over so as not to mess up anyone's hunts) in past seasons to get some field experience and practice. I have been successful at calling in a fair amount of bulls.

Next up, I would really like to learn and get good with diaphragm calls. Unfortunately, I have yet to have any success making a sound with a diaphragm call (elk or turkey) that resembles anything recognizable. I was hoping that some of you might be able to share some of your experiences or ideas for the best way to learn. Any good Youtube videos, DVDs, or physical classes that you might recommend to a diaphragm newbie who needs instructions, even the basic 101 instructions (like proper mouth placement, right/wrong way to blow, etc)? I did attend a turkey calling class last spring that had some basic diaphragm instructions, but my level of sucking could not be solved in this brief class.

Thanks

I believe there are some YouTube vids of Corey Jacobsen. He is the real deal when it comes to calling. Hunter was telling me jay Scott is quite the elk caller as well but not sure if he has any videos or recordings on his podcast.

• Like 1

Agree with cj on YouTube. Also look up elk101 and elknut's training stuff. All good stuff.

I tried for YEARS and couldn't do it. Gag reflex didn't help. Then I on a whim I started trimming my reeds and viola, I found it. Now it is almost second nature.

Anytime you are in the area hit me up and I would be happy to show you what I do with my reeds. Might just be the shape of your palette keeping you from the magic. Lol

• Like 1

+1 on corey jacobsen. Could also add Joel Turner and Chris Roe to the list. IMO the top 3 elk callers. All of them have lots of content out there. There is a reason why all the best callers use diaphragm calls. Buy a bunch of different ones (i recommend phelps) and blow them on your commutes to work every day until you have the hang of it. That way you don't annoy anyone but yourself. The best and only way to learn is practice.

• Like 1

Corey Jacobson (elk101)

Steve Chappel

Joel Turner (ironmind hunting) recently found his vids and like his basic strategy.

All have good vids on calling/diaphragm calls

• Like 1

I also struggle with diaphragm calls to the point that I have mostly given up on them. I have a couple of reed calls that I like. I also have a Steve Chappell CD titled Extreme Elk Calling. It has around 25 live recorded sequences of him calling in elk using various calls. I play it when I am practicing with a call so I can hear a talented caller and actual elk and learn imitate them the best I can. Can't seem to find that CD right now, I wonder where the wife hid it?

• Like 1

Depends a lot on the roof of your mouth. I would love to use one of those dome shaped calls but can't do it. The ones with the "palate plate" rather than a dome I can do.

• Like 1

Get it in your mouth and practice! I've been using mine on the way to work or when I'm shooting my bow. All of a sudden one day it'll start to sound good!! Single reed for cow call, which is all you need to learn. Good luck

Get it in your mouth and practice! I've been using mine on the way to work or when I'm shooting my bow. All of a sudden one day it'll start to sound good!! Single reed for cow call, which is all you need to learn. Good luck. The sound generated comes from the latex and your tongue , not the roof of your mouth.

• Like 1

Get it in your mouth and practice! I've been using mine on the way to work or when I'm shooting my bow. All of a sudden one day it'll start to sound good!! Single reed for cow call, which is all you need to learn. Good luck

Get it in your mouth and practice! I've been using mine on the way to work or when I'm shooting my bow. All of a sudden one day it'll start to sound good!! Single reed for cow call, which is all you need to learn. Good luck. The sound generated comes from the latex and your tongue , not the roof of your mouth.

Yes the call comes from the latex and your tongue pressure. Also the amount you blow and most starting out blow too hard. Single reeds don't take as much air pressure as triple reeds. The only thing the roof of your mouth does is allow the call to seal so you don't have air leaking by. That is why they make so many sizes and some can use one call great and others suck. Try a variety until you find one that works for you.

• Like 2

Practice when driving.

If your not getting sound, it's probably too far back in the roof of your mouth. Move it forward, just about as far forward as you can.

Vibration? Use more tongue pressure. Lt & Rt side of your tongue MUST be against the diaphram. Middle of your tongue, must NOT be on diaphram. The middle of tongue creates a channel where the air flows and bam.....you got it. Your tongue pressure on sides is pretty high.

If I watched you do it, I could tell you what your doing wrong. Maybe drop a video to me.

To me, it's so easy, I don't get how people can't do it. I'd love to help. And know that cow calling is more important than bull calling for close-up work!

• Like 1

Steve Chappell CD in the car for your commute every day. You'll have it down in 2-4 weeks, depending on your drive time, and your wife won't be plotting your demise.